Belgian Beer Board

Author Topic: MBCC 2021  (Read 66 times)

Jay

• View Profile
MBCC 2021
« on: October 14, 2021, 09:45:59 AM »
Hi everyone,

Well after a 20 month absence from airline travel it’s almost time to dust off and pack them suitcases once again….a week today we fly out to Copenhagen for Mikkeller’s beer festival (MBCC) a beer festival that’s been postponed three times since 2020.

I’m in no doubt that things will still be a little “out of the norm” but we’re both super excited to finally be returning to something resembling normality….a return to happier times and making happy memories.

I’ll of course be reporting back, a report no doubt filled with some great beers.

Cheers
Jay 🍻👍🏻

Trappist

• Belgian Beer Signature
  • Administrator
  • Fermentation and civilization are inseparable.
    • View Profile
    • Belgian Beer Board
Re: MBCC 2021
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 10:28:36 AM »
Well Jay, if that isn't some wonderful perspective  t_u
With that name Mikkelller you can be assured to have a load of truely excellent beers !! Barel aged too ofcourse !! You'll LOVE it.
Already waiting for the report Jay  t_u t_u t_u
Have a great trip to Copenhagen  :beer:
Cheers,
Filip
“Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health.”
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 04:52:35 PM »
Enjoy your time at the festival Jay. I can't help but wonder though which breweries will or will not be in attendance when the gates finally open. As of right now there were 126 breweries originally slated to be there, but 46 of them have since dropped out due to the sexual misconduct allegations against Mikkeller, and the list keeps growing (just a few days ago the number of dropouts was at 22). It will be interesting to hear about your experiences there, and if Mikkeller somehow addresses the issues facing them.

Whatever the case, I hope it will be a very enjoyable experience for you both and many excellence beers will be tasted.

Cheers! - John

Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 05:37:43 PM »
Hi John,

After waiting almost 2 years the news of these allegations couldn’t have come at a worse time (we’re now just 4 days away from travelling) and with so many UK and American breweries pulling out it looked at one point like the fate of the festival hung in the balance.

But I’m friends with a guy on Facebook (Tony Trondhjem Sørensen) and he says that even though the brewers have pulled out and won’t be attending in person their beers will still be available only they’ll be served by the volunteers (Tony being one) rather than the brewer themselves (as at other stands)

The festival itself only takes up 4 hours of our 4 day trip (we have green tickets for Saturday 4pm - 8pm) so there’ll be plenty more to see and do on our mini break to Copenhagen.

Mikkeller put a statement out yesterday and in it they said that  people can receive a full refund if they decide not to attend (something they never offered all through Covid) they also said that despite the struggles they intended to make this the best festival yet with them sharing some rare beers from their cellars as a thank you to those still visiting.

Whatever happens it will like you say be a very enjoyable experience, one I’ll report back on.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 11:10:26 PM »
Thanks for the update Jay. I know you and Linda will have an awesome time.  t_u

Cheers mate! - John

Trappist

• Belgian Beer Signature
  • Administrator
  • Fermentation and civilization are inseparable.
    • View Profile
    • Belgian Beer Board
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 09:52:38 AM »
Whatever happens it will like you say be a very enjoyable experience, one I’ll report back on.

Hi Jay and John,
It sure will be a very enjoyable experience. Too bad about the allegations though. What is happening with this world ?? So much hatred and intoleration going on these days  :chin: :ohno-1:
Anyway, cheers,
Filip
“Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health.”
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 09:44:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

Another update today, Mikkeller are giving all ticket holders 25% discount off all beer bought in their bars, also 25% on all bottles bought from bars and bottle shops and the same on all merchandise and food (both at the festival and bars)

Looks like they’re sticking true to their word and trying to make this the best Festival yet.

Cheers
Jay  t_u