Belgian Beer Board

Author Topic: New “non resale” Westvleteren boxes  (Read 74 times)

Jay

• View Profile
New “non resale” Westvleteren boxes
« on: September 28, 2021, 06:11:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

A few of you may well know of American Lambic fanatic Chuck Cook, well he’s currently in Belgium and at the weekend visited the In De Vrede cafe at the Westvleteren brewery and whilst there picked up a 6 pack box of Westvleteren 12 (as you would  :)) ) anyway he posed a pic of said box on his Facebook page and I noticed that things have changed slightly….extra wording has appeared.

It now clearly states a price paid for the 6 pack (23 euros) and also the words - Can only be sold at “In de Vrede” Westvleteren are now clearly stated.

I can’t see this getting around the problem of black market resales (you can just sell the bottles individually) but the boxes are now not a sellable commodity.

A pic of my 2019 box for comparison

Cheers,
Jay  t_u     

Trappist

• Belgian Beer Signature
  • Administrator
  • Fermentation and civilization are inseparable.
    • View Profile
    • Belgian Beer Board
Re: New “non resale” Westvleteren boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 11:38:24 AM »
I can’t see this getting around the problem of black market resales (you can just sell the bottles individually) but the boxes are now not a sellable commodity.
Hi Jay,
Interesting move  :chin:
But ofcourse - like you say - the bottles can be sold separately.
Possibly the "warnings" are published to >>remember<< people not to re-sell the bottles.
Actually, I'm not really sure if there is a legal base. Probably a "wish" they publish for not making their beers for the rich people only, and people making money from doing this.
Normally, when you buy something, it becomes your possession, and you are the owner. Re-selling is a choice you made from your own product.
If people want to give loads of money for it, that's their own choice ofcourse. But at the point it becomes a "business", things indeed do change.
Cheers,
Filip

“Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health.”
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 11:53:11 AM »
Hi Jay,
Possibly the "warnings" are published to >>remember<< people not to re-sell the bottles.
Actually, I'm not really sure if there is a legal base. Probably a "wish" they publish for not making their beers for the rich people only, and people making money from doing this.
Normally, when you buy something, it becomes your possession, and you are the owner. Re-selling is a choice you made from your own product.
If people want to give loads of money for it, that's their own choice ofcourse. But at the point it becomes a "business", things indeed do change.
Cheers,
Filip

I'm not familiar with Belgian law, but it would seem that as you say Filip there might not be a legal base in this situation. The only case that there might be would be in the situation of an individual trying to resell the beer without a proper liquor license. That would be illegal here in the US. But as for a bar owner buying some Westvleteren legally and then re-selling it in his or her bar, then I'm not so sure.

Cheers - John

Trappist

• Belgian Beer Signature
  • Administrator
  • Fermentation and civilization are inseparable.
    • View Profile
    • Belgian Beer Board
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 12:04:08 PM »
Hi Jay,
Cheers,
Filip

I'm not familiar with Belgian law, but it would seem that as you say Filip there might not be a legal base in this situation. The only case that there might be would be in the situation of an individual trying to resell the beer without a proper liquor license. That would be illegal here in the US. But as for a bar owner buying some Westvleteren legally and then re-selling it in his or her bar, then I'm not so sure.

Cheers - John

Hi John,
At this point, nobody has been punished and condemned.
So, I presume that it is more kinda wish than actually forbidding.
Cheers,
Filip
“Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health.”
–- Thomas Jefferson