Belgian Beer Board

What a surprise !!

Started by Trappist, May 15, 2024, 02:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

Hi,
What an amazing surprise to see that someone posted a full crate of pre-1945 75cl. bottles of Westvleteren 8 on the BBB Facebook group.  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:

This is the WONDER !!!

All bottles are still FULL. The corks are still intact too!

To give you an idea, I posted here under two pictures I took myself already long time ago.

Same bottle shape, same label, and exactly the same wooden crate too.

Now, I was wondering if there is some falsification done ?

The dust on the bottles is quite thin.
The corks look damn new to me.
The labels are spotless

Knowing that a crate like this - in such a great condition - will sell for a HUGE amount of money.

Actually, I'm clueless  :chin:

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Interesting find. Hard to say if there has been any falsification at some point, not necessarily by the current owner.

The dust does look thin, but then again it's possible that the bottles have been dusted off by someone years ago and this collection of dust is not from pre-1945. Or the bottles may have been stored in a somewhat non dusty environment.

The corks are interesting, as about half of them look aged and half of them look almost new. Not sure what to make of that. Assuming all bottles were stored together and in the same environment it would seem that they should all look about the same.

The labels do look to be in almost pristine shape, especially considering they would be over 80 years old. Again, hard to say much more about that without knowing exactly how and where the bottles were stored.

Yes, a very interesting find, but as much as I love this beer (one of my all time favorites) I wouldn't be in a hurry to lay out a large sum of money for this. It's likely that someone will though, and I'd be interested in hearing how the beer itself looks and tastes.

Cheers! - John

Viv

Hi guys,

Indeed that is a great surprise.

Unless you know the storage conditions, which could have changed
over the years, it's difficult to assess the condition of the labels
and corks, whilst also considering the cobwebs.   

Provenence is the key here.

Most likely they are in fact genuine. I wonder what price might be
involved. But I don't think that I would be interested in tasting
the beer except for a small sip! So better to leave them sealed as
they are!

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Hi,
This is actually the ever first time I see a full bottle of a 75cl Westvleteren. I'm quite excited :o
I really thought they didn't exist anymore ...... till those picture suddenly appeared on the BBB FB group.
This also proofs that full bottles still exist, and those also could be the case for Westvleteren 12 or the 6.
Westvleteren 12 is first brewed during WWII! 33cl and also 75cl volumed.
I don't know exactly what period inbetween WWII, so it actually could be at the beginning, but also at the end.
There are not that many crates produced I suppose. War period, etc...
Also, after WWII, the monks decided to go un-commercial and handed out the recipe to cheese manufacturer Saint-Bernard with discontinuing the labels.
It is definitely more likely to find a full crate of the 8, simply because that beer was already made way before WWII started.

Interesting detail: When opening one of those bottles Extra 8 graden, you will have a lactic sour beer with wood touches.

Lactic sourness is a great preservative, and I really think the beer is still drinkable  :eyes:

Jeez, how eager I wanna have a sip from those bottles !!! damn......

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi Filip,

Well, if it tastes of/contains lactic acid then it will be really healthy for
the digestive system and immune system as fermented foods like Kimchi and
Kefir have this!

Cheers!

Viv