Belgian Beer Board

MBCC 2024

Started by Jay, May 07, 2024, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Hi everybody

It's almost Mikkeller time folks, MBCC kicks off this weekend  :culsec:

This and the Bruges Beer Festival are undoubtedly our two beery highlights of the year (both equally No1, we love them both that much) and we fly out early Thursday from Manchester for 4 days of beer, bars and partying

As usual we'll be attending the final green session which is on Saturday from 4-8pm and great news the after show party is returning so from 8pm it's time to boogie with the brewers  :D

We'll be in town for 4 days so we have another trip to Sweden planned, this time heading further to the town of Lund but we shall see how things play out.

We have booked a Mikkeller boat cruise on the Sunday, a 2 hour boat trip around Copenhagen on which we'll sample Mikkeller beers and also beers from Stepping Stone brewery along with a discussion with the head brewer.

Pics and an in-depth post when we return

Cheers
Jay 🇩🇰

John B

Enjoy Jay and Linda! Looking forward to your report    t_u

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Hi Jay & Linda,
Enjoy your trip to the MBCC.
looking forward to the pix. They sure will be very enjoyable as usual  t_u  t_u
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Hi everybody

Back a couple of days now from this years MBCC and to say this is our best trip yet is an understatement

We had an amazing 4 days in Copenhagen (and Sweden) sampling some mind blowing beers at some fantastic bars shared with some genuinely nice people

A report will follow

Cheers
Jay  t_u

Trappist

Hi Jay,
Good to read that you are both safe back home.  t_u
Looking forward to the report Jay  t_u
I'm sure the pictures will be worth watching again.
thanks for sharing !!!
Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Hi everyone...MBCC report time

Boarded the plane for our 7:30am flight to Copenhagen and shortly after 10am we were walking along the corridor at CPH airport that's lined with blue smiley faces, this instantly screams Denmark to us.

After quickly negotiating passport control and retrieving our luggage we made our way downstairs as this year we decided to catch the train into the centre of Copenhagen, much more affordable than the taxi we usually take and equally as fast with them leaving every 15 minutes and the journey taking just 10 minutes plus the train station in town is just 2 minutes from our hotel...why we haven't done this before but we will from now on.

Checking in for our hotel (the Absalon) wasn't until 2pm so we put our bags into storage and headed out and to our first bar - Warpigs.

There are just a small handful of bars across Europe that despite the countless number of times you visit you still get butterflies in your stomach as you approach them (Beertje will always be my No1) but also bars like De Garre, Helleketel and Basqueland and also Warpigs.

As we walk through the meat packaging area I can feel the excitement building and with the time approaching midday the bar and outside seating area was packed but we managed to find an empty spot, sit down and relax.
First beers ordered in the form of a couple of 6% DIPAs and talk about hitting the spot, as fresh as ever and full of biting sweet hops.

It turns out there's another reason why Warpigs was so busy, we were 30 minutes away from a 3 Sons bottle release - might as well stay for another beer then.

A week or so earlier Warpigs had posted that 2 special barrel aged beers were being released in time for MBCC...

Silent Ritual - 12.8% Imperial Stout aged for 30 months in Bourbon Barrels

Vanilla Gorilla - 13% Imperial Baltic Porter aged 36 months in Danish Rye Whiskey Barrels

Both we available in bottles and from tap, Silent Ritual was my next beer, this is what I love about this style of beer...a thick rich heavy stout left in a barrel for many months - beer, barrel, time.

This was such an amazing beer and despite being in Warpigs less than an hour I bought my first bottle

With the time approaching 12 a table loaded with bottles and cans already had a queue of around 30 people eager for the 3 Sons release but we decided to wait and have a couple of lower ABV IPAs before buying

So with the line all gone (along with our beers) I went and bought a 3 Sons DIPA, another Silent Ritual and a couple of Vanilla Gorilla, quite the haul for just over an hour.

Back to our hotel to check in properly and unpack then it was back to the meat packing area to ÅBEN (another one of THOSE special bars) we love this place so had to pay it a visit, to sit in the covered outdoor bar area with a DIPA and NEIPA was just magical.

So after beers bought to bring home we headed out of the meat packing area but on our way stopped by an innocent looking bar come cafe come sandwich shop. A totally unassuming looking place and one we've walked past loads of times - Kødbyens Høker

This small cafe is nothing more than a serving hatch and small outdoor seating area but it was packed, so noticing a sign for beer we grabbed a table.
Just 2 beers were available and both from Danish brewery Herslev Bryghus, yet despite the minuscule beers available and indeed minuscule setup we thoroughly enjoyed our time there - the relaxed atmosphere, the laid back approach (you go to the serving hatch to order you beer)and the friendly locals all made for a memorable half hour, this is a place we simply walk past again.

Continuing our exit we headed to the Mikkeller Bar Viktoriagade to see if we could pick up our wristbands (sadly they were out) never mind there's always time for a Wheatbeer before deciding to head back to our hotel in the direction of Dia Legd just across the street for one final DIPA before retiring for the day...tomorrow we go on our travels.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

Jay

Day 2

Today we take a trip to Sweden and so after catching the wrong train  :D  we set off a second time from Copenhagen Central Station and headed past Malmö and onwards to Lund - a picturesque city at the Southern tip of Sweden with ancient cobblestone streets lined with half timbered buildings

Exiting the train station and after a gentle stroll past well maintained public gardens we arrived at our first port of call Lundabryggeriets Ölkällare, a basement restaurant and bar so let's pop in for a drink

Madame Fläder and Starke Nels, a couple of IPAs both from the Lund brewery and both delicious

Beers consumed we had a stroll around the beautiful old town, stopping off to buy the most delicious Danish (or should that be Swedish) pastries and paying a visit to the local Systembolaget to buy some local beers - the only place (except bars and restaurants) where you can buy alcohol over 3% ABV

People have a presumption that beer in Sweden is going to be expensive and that may well be true in some circumstances but not at these licensed stores - 7 beers ranging from 8-12% ABV cost just over £20

Time for something to eat and so Inferno bar was the choice, a bar located in a beautiful red brick and black timbered building.

To our surprise despite being in Sweden they served Bulgarian cuisine (new to us) so Bulgarian it is but a beer first and one from Gotland Bryggeri (not a brewery you see here in the UK) in the form of a crisp, bitter, biscuity IPA with food in the form of some delicious sounding burgers but we opted for the Bulgarian and they were named after the dish they were served in - Tile and Gondola...Pork stew in white wine and Summer Savoury also Beef in red wine with salami and Vasterbotten cheese and both delicious

Bellies filled it was time to catch the train back to Copenhagen but decided to stop off on route with a quick visit to Malmö to visit Hyllie Bryggeri for a beer (or two)
We visited this brewery last year and enjoyed it so much another visit this year was a must. Beers shared were an IPA, DIPA, a roasty Porter and crisp lager

After buying a T-shirt (sadly no beer, we are in Sweden) it was back to the train station with the most amazing Espresso from the St Jakobs stall

Back in Copenhagen it was unpacking then out for the evening at the Mikkeller Bar, Fermentoren and Warpigs...what a day it had been

Cheers
Jay  t_u

Trappist

Hi Jay,
Thanks for sharing your great beery moments in Denmark and Sweden.
The pictures are all mouth watering.
Not really sure if there is a third episode :)
BTW... I just recovered from my second Covid infection.
One of the major characteristics. feeling very tired .. but that's been corrected by now. Damn virus.
Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi guys,

Yes indeed Filip, I have been eagerly expecting Part 3 of yet another
great report from you Jay.

As regards your 2nd Covid infection Filip did you have any other
symptoms, and how long did the tiredness last? How many injections
have you had? It's quite hard to believe it's still going round even
now! There's also a few weird other bugs going around too!

Cheers!

Viv 

Jay

Part 3

Day of the festival but that's not until 4pm, so the morning was spent with a walk through the beautiful Ørstedsparken to the Torvehallerne Market for a visit to the Mikkeller and Friends Bottleshop to buy some special beers to bring home...and boy did I pickup some stunners (Cycle, Resident Culture and Grimm amongst others)

Bag filled it was time for a beer (well one for, I was on the Orangina) and she chose a firm favourite - Tripel Karmeliet from tap and boy did she get a hefty pour, almost a full Karmeliet glass

The surroundings and bustle of the colourful market stalls filled with vegetables, fruit and flowers creating the perfect picturesque backdrop.

Time to head back across the park to our hotel to unpack and get ready for the festival.
Bags unpacked and repacked with food and water and with the time approaching 3pm we made the 5 minute walk to the festival site held in the large open plan Øksnehallen.

Collecting our glasses we stood in line on the large cobbled courtyard surrounded by food stalls, people sat at benches sharing bottles and it was whilst in line that we bumped into our friend Andreas and arranged to meet up again once inside.

The whole area had an excited buzz about it, so many beer fanatics all counting down the minutes and even before the festival opened for its final session people were coming over sharing beers - complete strangers sharing in the festival joy

At 4pm Mikkel Bjergsø and friend open the doors and set off their green flared...the final session is underway

Upon entering it seemed like everyone made for one of two stands - Omnipollo or Moksa, we shot right past them all and made for a quiet spot at the back with Linda randomly picking me my first beer and boy did she pick and absolute thumper from Cigar City, she chose Apple Brandy Hunahpus...WOWSER what a start, a Mexican spiced 12.7% Imperial Stout aged in Apple Brandy Barrels

After that mighty start it was onto the 8% DIPAs

Time for more of the dark stuff and one from Wake Brewing and their Ultra Omega - 12% Imperial Stout aged for 12 months in Mississippi Bourbon Barrels

Another beer worthy of a mention is by Resident Culture and their Barrel Aged Ego Death Compost Cookie (check the ingredients) and it so worked, completely bonkers

It was whilst enjoying this beer that Andreas messaged me to get over to his table to sample some bottles he had brought to share with friends and boy had he brought some properly stunning beers, easily some of the most expensive I've ever tasted, such amazing generosity

Time for another walk around the food stalls and chose some mega tasty vinegar fries with tartar sauce

Bellies topped up it was time for something different and chose a Mead from Superstition and it was as I was finishing that a bloke came up to me and asked if I like to try a Mead made especially for the festival

Back on the dark stuff and chose an Old Fashioned - 11.6% Barley Wine aged in Bourbon, Orange and Spiced Cherry Bitters barrels and designed to taste like one of my favourite cocktails an Old Fashioned and it REALLY did

Another message from Andreas, more bottles to try and he truly outdid himself with a Side Project Anabasis and finally a Side Project 10 Year Barleywine...this guy is an absolute legend

It was whilst we were sat sharing these jaw dropping beers that a bloke from Fremont came over with a Magnum of their 14th Anniversary Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine for us to sample

With the festival drawing to an end (for now) it was time to say our goodbyes but now it was time to "boogie with the brewers" at the aftershow party...it was the perfect end to another perfect festival

Signed the ÅBEN poster (bottom middle)

Cheers and parts 4+5 to follow soon

Jay t_u

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on May 30, 2024, 07:13:32 PMAs regards your 2nd Covid infection Filip did you have any other
symptoms, and how long did the tiredness last? How many injections
have you had? It's quite hard to believe it's still going round even
now! There's also a few weird other bugs going around too!
Hi Viv,
Tired for one full week. I had a 38.1°C fever too. But only during one evening, the second day.
Headaches, running nose, and a very deep cough. Nothing really extreme. I didn't need my bed though. Resting is the key.
Katrien didn't feel well either a week before I had it. So, I'm nearly sure she got it too. But she didn't feel the urge to go to the doctor.
She must have got it from the school where she works, and that way infected me.
You see, after three vaccinations, there are no antibodies left, and one gets that Covid every while and then.
But because we have memory cells in our body, the disease isn't deadly anymore. And that's a good sign.
But we will NEVER get rid of this Covid. It's there to stay for ever I'm afraid.
The thing is that many people get it, but aren't aware that it is Covid. You are not really that sick you know.
It is only because I work in the lab of our hospital that I know I had it. A small screening test (rapid test) was done by me just to satisfy my curiosity.
Knowing not everyone works in a lab gives me the conclusion that a massive amount of people simply do not know they have Covid  !!!

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Hi Jay,
Again, what a marvelous report of the MBCC 2024!!
Highly impressed with all those quality beers, and there are so many with such a high alc%. heavy monsters, barrel aged, etc etc.
I'm also highly impressed with that full glass of Karmeliet from tap. That's sure a 40cl+ volume you got there mate.
Part 4 & 5 ? Wow, you amaze me
Thanks so much for sharing your truly fantastic moments  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Man oh man Jay!!! Does life get much better than that?

You and Linda sure know how to pick out the best of the best places to go and things to do.

Lovin' your reports mate!  t_u

Cheers! - John

Jay

Day 4

Wowser what a day yesterday was, a full on beery festival but today we take it at a more relaxed pace and Linda has booked us on a Mikkeller boat cruise.
So making our way to the colourful Nyhavn area for our 2pm departure a large crowd was already assembled at the Anchor meeting point.

We went on a boat cruise last year and that takes 1 hour to explore the waterways but this Mikkeller one takes 2 hours so we venture further afield

Setting off we were joined by our guide and also the brewer from Stepping Stone Brewery (who's beers we'd also be sampling) and after an introduction from both we were kicking off with our first beer, a Pilsner from Stepping Stone with Mikkeller Baghaven as the backdrop before moving on to a Mikkeller IPA as we rounded the Reffen Street Food area.

It was around this time that the guide introduced himself and it turned out that he had a strong connection with Mikkeller that goes way back, back to when they were a fledgling brewery and he bought one of their first beers, a Christmas beer from 1991 and he still had the original (empty) bottle for us to photograph - the oldest bottle of Mikkeller around

Making our way past the little mermaid and out past cute timber houses and smart flats filled with people sat on balconies all waving as we sailed past.

More beers we shared from Steppingstone and  Mikkeller and also Baghaven before making our way back to the Nyhavn area, what a brilliant and relaxing couple of hours it had been, seeing parts of the city we wouldn't normally

Leaving the Nyhavn area and instead of taking the well trodden path back home we instead headed another route back and just around the corner we continued the nautical theme with an IPA onboard the Tipsy Mermaid- a bar on a boat

What a cracking little place this was and it just goes to show that turning left instead of the usual right at a familiar junction can throw up some new hidden gems

Time for some food and we were booked in at BRUS (the home of To Øl beer) so walking across town in the glorious afternoon sunshine we worked up a healthy appetite

Some spanking fresh IPAs and an insanely delicious smash burger and fried Padron peppers, everything cooked fresh in the open kitchen. Amazing beers, amazing food...is it any wonder that we love this place so much

Time for a quick look around the bottle and mech shop to buy some great beers then it was time to head back to our hotel to pack in readiness for tomorrow's journey home we finished the night off in Warpigs with friends Hollie and Ross...yup, another perfect day

Cheers
Jay  t_u

Jay

Day 5

Today we leave ☹️ but not until later so we'll kick things off with some special Danish pastries from St Peders Bageri, in particular their famous Cinnamon Danish and a rich and oily espresso...that's how you start the day 😋

Seeing as we have the best part of a day left we explored more of Copenhagen and a walk up the Round Tower gave us spectacular views of the city.
It's quite the walk up the spiralling 17th century tower, a tower built as an astronomical observatory with the spiral design meaning a horse could be ridden to the top.

Making our way further across town we found our way to Torvehallerne Market for a bite to eat at Tapa Del Toro, some of the best Patatas Bravas we've had (including Spain) YUM

Time to make our way back in the direction of our hotel and whilst on our way stumbled upon a new bar to us - SKAAL

A bar we've walked past loads of times (not again) over 100 beers are available with a mighty 48 from tap

A bit more food before we leave and you guessed correctly Warpigs for some BBQ and beers and what a way to bow out and say goodbye to our beloved beautiful Copenhagen, like Bruges this place is truly under our skin and forever in our hearts and to cap things off perfectly our very last drink in Warpigs was added just as I went to the bar, it's Linda's favourite Big Drunk Baby

And there's another incredible MBCC, over 4 days of pure indulgence, drinking some amazing beers, discovering new bars, meeting up with friends, delicious food...Copenhagen you are a star that will always shine brightly 🇩🇰

Skål
Jay t_u

Oh yeah, we've already bought tickets and booked our hotel for MBCC 2025 😄