Belgian Beer Board

Bush Mystery!

Started by Trappist, April 15, 2024, 01:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

Hi,

A beery mystery occured last weekend!!

When hitting beer pub Daverlo Sport-, Lees- en Eetcafé (https://www.daverlo.be/eetcafe/) last Saturday, and ordering a Bush Caractère ambrée, I was very surprised to find out that the beer was..... hazy!

When looking inside the bottle, I saw a yeast sediment  :exclamation:
This looks like real bottle refermentation to me.
But, that would be the ever first time I have a bottle conditioned 33cl. Bush Caractère.
Officially, only the big 75cl. Bush Caractère has that extra treatment.
This happened to me earlier that week as well, so that Saturday visit was done as a confirmation, because actually I wasn't really sure if during our first visit I really noticed that yeasty sediment (I could have been dreaming  ;) ). That second visit is only a confirmation!

The beer had a much more creamy mouthfeeling and also a more fruity yeasty flavor. More complexity too.
Wauw, not bad at all, but very unusual to me, because I expected a crystal clear amber colored beer.

The best before date is 05 Jan 2025. (that's important to know  C:-) )

Anyway, quite a unique experience, and that platter of young Chimay cheese was a great pairing.

But ofcourse that needs more investigations, so I went to my nearby supermarket to buy me a 4-pack, also to expect a hazy beer.

But see, crystal clear and no single yeast cell inside that bottle!
This is how the beer should look from 33cl bottles.
Now, I was thinking that bry. Dubuisson has changed their view, and changed towards bottle conditioning with the 33cl. bottles too.
But this simply can't be true folks.

Looking at the best before date (29 Nov 2025) I noticed that this beer is about 10 months younger!

There can only be one explaination.
I think the bottling went wrong, and a part of the lowest and last part of the fermentation tanks is bottled too with the yeast sediment from that tank added, which could not be the real intention.
But.... ofcourse I could be completely wrong :)

Anyway, that didn't spoil our appetize, and that Spanish meat platter and mixed cheese platter was a feast !!

Belgian beer tasting is always a pleasure and full of pleasant surpises  t_u

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Sounds like your explanation makes sense Filip, but perhaps the good folks at Dubuisson know something else?   :chin:

Cheers! - John 

Trappist

Quote from: John B on April 15, 2024, 04:53:46 PMSounds like your explanation makes sense Filip, but perhaps the good folks at Dubuisson know something else?  :chin:

Cheers! - John 

Maybe, maybe John.
The future will tell John.
Actually, this is the second time in my life that I have this experience.
You won't believe this but the first time was in Thailand !

Chang is the best known lager in Thailand and is "always" a clear beer.
Till ... I got some hazy ones in 2016.
It is still a mystery to me why those two Changs were hazy. They looked unfiltered to me, which is an impossibility.

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi Filip,

Interesting situation with that brew, and I think that you are right about
how and why it happened. How did no-one notice at Bush? Or maybe they did?

I do wonder why they choose to have brews with no secondary fermentation in
the bottle. Not that I prefer hazy beers, as I much prefer a crystal clear
brew.

Most of their brews are top quality, and amongst my favourites.

Cheers!

Viv 

Trappist

Hi Viv,
Maybe it was an expirement from the brewery.
BTW: The 75cl are always bottle refermented.
I simply can't believe that such an error would have been occured and above all, unnoticed.
Note that the Bush triple is bottle conditioned inside the small 33cl. and also inside the bigger 75cl bottles.
Is there a future plan to make all 33cl Bush Caractère bottle conditioned?
I think we need some patience and future sure will reveal things.
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson