Belgian Beer Board

Tripel Karmeliet from can !

Started by Trappist, April 10, 2024, 10:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

Hi,
We've just done a side-by-side tasting of the canned tripel Karmeliet and the regular from 33cl.bottle.

As you can see, the canned version is 8 vol% strong, which is 0.4 vol% less alcoholic compared to the bottled version.
The can says "bier van 't vat", which means it is canned straight from the big brewing vats, without doing that extra can refermentation. (if that is possible anyway  :chin: )
This is actually the major difference, and it results into a less strong beer. Understandable.

When pouring, I really needed to pull the can to obtain a full head reaching the top.
Yes, I succeeded, but after a while the foam disintegrated into a small layer.
This beer is crystal clear!!
Nosing is exacly the same as the bottled one.
Flavor wise exactly the same too! BUT!!!
This beer is so flat. Nearly NO carbonation, which gives it a very soft easy drinking beer.
It's clear that the recipe is the same. You can taste the spices, grains, etc.. exactly as the bottled one, and this for decades already. No recipe change at all after ABInBev took over. Yes, I'm still convinced.

That bottled triple Karmeliet still gets my vote, and I prefer it way above that canned version.
Bottle refermentation gives it that great satisfying body, that bit more of alc, a somewhat hazy beer, and a great effervescence mouth feeling.
It is that extra yeast inside the bottle that makes the difference, and which makes the beer COMPLETE! Essential!

I paid €7.96 for a 4-pack of Karmeliet from can (= €1.99 for one can)
I paid €9.30 for a 6-pack of bottled Karmeliet. (= €1.55 for one bottle)

Which makes me thinking, how on earth this can be possible.
This actually should be the way round, as that extra bottle refermentation should make it more expensive.

Bottle refermentation is an essential part of brewing excellent Belgian beer.
It is that "finishing touch".

Most possibly this has been done to make export easier and cheaper IMHO!

Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi Filip,

Interesting findings from your tastings!

The can label is totally different from the bottle, and frankly you
would have to look hard to find it, whereas the bottle easily stands
out and is easily recognisable too.

As you say the bottle has a slightly higher alcohol level, much more
body and effervescent carbonation, and the beer is "live" with the
yeast giving a secondary fermentation too. I doubt that it will have
that lovely thick creamy texture and taste without a good head either.   

Some beers work in canned form, but clearly this brew doesn't so
everyone................please avoid if possible! Stick to the
bottle, and it's cheaper in the bottle too! And probably easier to
recycle as well?!

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on April 10, 2024, 02:28:18 PMand it's cheaper in the bottle too!
Hi Viv,
The can is still acceptable though. Not bad at all, but lacks the finishing bottle refermentation job.
By coincidence there is a promotion going on at supermarket Colruyt, starting from today! YES !!
https://www.colruyt.be/nl/producten/10478
Valid from 10/04/24 to 23/04/24 with XTRA (subscribe the website and get the Xtra card)
€1.16 for one bottle of Karmeliet tripel. That's really dirt cheap!
Unfortunately I bought them before the promotion :( but can always go back to capture more six-packs :)
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Thanks for sharing your tasting findings Filip. Can't say that I am surprised by the outcome. In fact I'm hard pressed to think of a Belgian beer that's better from a can than it is from a bottle.

Cheers! - John

Viv

Hi Filip,

1.16 euros per bottle is amazing. That's the kind
of cost from 25 years ago.....

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Viv

Trappist

Well, yesterday we bought us a couple of six-packs at 1.16 euro / bottle.
Yes, dirt cheap!

BUT !!! How wrong could I be  :ohno-1:

When consulting https://www.colruyt.be/nl/producten/10478 today, the price is even much lower  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:

That's a stunning €0.96 for one single bottle when buying two 6-packs!!

At some point, I really would adore ABInBev and supermarket Colruyt O:-)  O:-)  O:-)  O:-)  O:-)

Note that the prices at Colruyt always fluctuate according the prices from nearby shops.
They "always" equal the cheapest price, which makes me wonder where on earth that price is handled here in my region by another supermarket or beer shop  ???

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Quote from: Trappist on April 11, 2024, 08:19:39 PMBUT !!! How wrong could I be  :ohno-1:

When consulting https://www.colruyt.be/nl/producten/10478 today, the price is even much lower  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:

That's a stunning €0.96 for one single bottle when buying two 6-packs!!

No problem guys,
I bought me 4 six-packs yesterday at that stunning price!!!
And see, today that price went up again from 7.69 to 9.30 Euro.
Call this some lucky shot folks  t_u

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson