Belgian Beer Board

John

Started by Trappist, March 19, 2024, 08:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

Hi John,
I noticed on FB that you have some rough times lately.
Do know that we are supporting you and praying (well, if that helps anyway) that your life gets acceptable and worth living.
Cheers to a better future for you  t_u
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Same here John, I really do hope that life starts to deal you some happier times.

Both myself and Linda are thinking of you buddy

Sending all our love

Jay and Linda x

Viv

Hey John,

Sorry to hear of your current problems.

We are going to encounter challenges, difficulties, trials
and tribulations thoughout life, but when we overcome them
and come out the other side we will be stronger.

Cheers!

Viv

John B

Filip, Jay and Viv thank you ever so much. Your kind thoughts and words truly mean a lot, as well as those from our Belgian Beer Board members who post on Facebook.

Yes, life can be a real struggle sometimes. I could never have imagined the things that have happened to me recently, or being in the situation that I'm in now.

Unfortunately it's almost certainly going to take a while before it gets better.

Currently I'm living in my car. A car  with 320,000 miles on it, which just two days ago failed it's smog emissions test, meaning that I can't register it. So I'll be driving around and sleeping (what little sleep I actually get, maybe 2-3 hours a night) in a car with expired tags. To fix the issues on the car so it would pass the test would costs thousands of dollars. More than the car is worth.

I ended up back in California a couple of weeks ago, after spending about 5 months in Texas, hoping to possibly start a new life there. That didn't work out.

I had fled to Texas after nearly being killed in California at 5 in the morning simply sleeping in bed. Multiple bullets came crashing through my bedroom window, missing my head by only 2 feet. Apparently my idiot drug dealing nephew who unfortunately lived in the house as I owed some other drug criminal some money, so they drove by in a car and shot up the house, and almost me.

On the way back to California from Texas a couple of weeks ago due to lack of sleep I fell asleep at the wheel of my car going 75 mph. Went off the road, but thankfully I didn't hurt or kill anyone or hit anything.

There are other things that have happened or are happening that I could go into, but this post is long enough already. I guess what shakes my faith so much is that nearly everything bad that's happened/happening to me is due to things or people that I have nothing to do with.

Currently I'm waiting for my old job to restart, which should be in about a month. Unfortunately it's only seasonal and part time, so it won't be enough to pay for somewhere to live. So I've been looking for other job opportunities as well, but it's difficult to get hired for a guy my age (in my 60's), living out of a car, and little to no access to a computer.

But... I'm keeping my head up and trying to make the best of things. Your friendship and kindness here is a huge part of keeping my spirits up.

My sincere heartfelt thank you!!

P.S.  You can be sure when life gets better I will celebrate it with some dann good Belgian beer!   t_u

Cheers! - John

Currently posting this on my phone in the wee morning hours sitting in my car in a dark parking lot, so please forgive any grammatical errors.

Trappist

Wauw John, how life is so unfair to you.
It seems you don't have anything anymore.
It's more frustrating to know that here in Europe, nearly everyone can find a home with this mass migrations going on.
I'm just thinking that maybe you actually could do the same thing.
There is no way that they will let you live on the street. Humanity is a serious thing over here.
You'll get instant help, home, food and even money.
I'm sure that a mass of those refugees coming to Belgium have a better life than you have at this moment.
It's only an idea John, but it would be utterly nice if you also could re-start things in your home country.
Please, do not refrain to comment over here. This is not a board about beer only. Your problems are way more important !!!
CHEERS and take care !!!
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Thank you Filip.

Belive me, I've had thoughts about moving to Europe. In many ways I feel very connected to certain places there. Not sure what my chances doing something like that would be though, as I thought a person would already have to have a job in place before moving there.

That's the thing... Yes, I would need help at first if moving there, but I would never want to be a burden. I'd want to start a new job soon, one that would allow me to take care of myself with the basic necessities in life. Very simple needs such as housing, clothing, food, and most importantly a good Belgian beer once in a while  ;).

For now I'm just taking it one day at a time. The days seem long, the nights even longer, feeling about twice as long as they really are. One day begins and I just want to get it over with, then night comes and I can't wait to get through that even more. It's so true how time seems to fly by so fast when you're having fun, and slows to a crawl when things aren't going well.

Anyway, the joy I get from visiting the Belgian Beer Board is a big help in lifting my spirits. Thank you once again for your kindness and support.

Cheers! - John

Viv

Hi John, Filip and Jay,

I am greatly concerned to read about your current troubles John.

I drank last night's beer to you, although I know that that won't
give you much comfort in your circumstances.

I don't know about what visa requirements etc etc may be necessary,
but if you could travel to Belgium/Europe as a tourist you may well
be able to get established in the time available. It would probably
be a big upheaval, but maybe also a great adventure.

The UK is literally and totally falling apart with the strain and
lack of investment made in the past, and is already bursting at the
seams, so doesn't quite offer immigrants open arms as they used to.
Our number of homeless grows and grows for example. Everything is
so expensive too....

Hang in there!

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Quote from: John B on March 22, 2024, 03:18:23 PMas I thought a person would already have to have a job in place before moving there.
Hi John,
You sure do not need a job.
All the migrants coming to Belgium don't have any job at all.
They merely come from countries like Afghanistan, Irak, Iran, Jordan, Syria, Soudan, name it.
I'm sure many come here to have a better life !
And that's exactly what you are looking for too !
Actually, I don't see any difference with your position and the ones that come over to Belgium. Your situation is actually worse.
...oh well, life sure isn't fair at all.
At your age, one already should be retired and live from a pension.
In Belgium, if that isn't the case, and you don't have money or home, one gets a minimum wage through the OCMW (public center for social work) which is enough to live from.
In Belgium, it is impossible to starve from starvation, or even be forced to live on the streets.
My advice John:
Try to look for a job ! Even the smallest job should do fine.
I know, at your age, a difficult decision, but it is the only way to survive.

Take much care John  t_u

Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson