Belgian Beer Board

The Mystery of Maredret!

Started by Trappist, February 21, 2024, 12:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

Hi,
Last weekend, we went to beerpub the HOPtimist here in Bruges for some mysterious Belgian beers.

This is what we ordered.
A Maredret Altus and a Maredret Triplus, paired with a delicious mixed platter.
What follows is a bit of info about this rather new beer. It exists for about two years already.

Information comes from https://www.accueil-abbaye-maredret.info/projetbière

Dear visitors,

We are very pleased to share with you of the birth of our twins Altus and Triplus

Two delicious beers from the Abbey of Maredret!

In tune with nature, you know that the nuns of Maredret perpetuate the prodigious craftsmanship of St. Hildegard of Bingen.
A naturopath before her time, the nun used plants as early as the eleventh century to treat various ailments of the body and mind, in the purest tradition of monasteries.

The community continues this tradition today not only through the sessions on health according to St. Hildegard, sacred song and illumination, but, more recently, through a range of craft beers, whose recipes have been carefully selected in line with the know-how passed down from Hildegard of Bingen.

Discover the beers of the Sisters of the Abbey of Maredret, a range brewed from spelt and plants, inspired by St. Hildegard of Bingen.

Triplus 8%

Spelt provides floral, nutty and slightly bitter notes and supports the strong spicy scent of Triplus while imparting subtle acidity. The use of botanicals, including coriander, galangal, and sage for the Triplus, gives it a unique taste.

Altus 6.8%

Spelt provides floral, nutty and slightly bitter notes and supports the yeast aromas of Altus. The use of botanicals, including cloves and juniper berries for the Altus, gives it its unique taste.

Where to find them?

In our monastic shop in Maredret of course!

But also at

• the Ferme de Mont Saint Jean in Waterloo
  • Carrefour stores
  • Carrefour Hyper
  • Carrefour Market
  • Carrefour Market by Mestdagh
  • Match
  • Prik & Tik stores
  • Drinks from the Delsart brewery
  • at the Ermeton Drink Center
  • the best drinks in Belgium

I must confess that I was utterly surprised with both beers  :exclamation:
Such a wonderful velvety soft beers.
The use of coriander, galangal, and sage with the Triplus makes it such a nice spicy beer. Quite a thymy flavor, but that's from the sage ofcourse.
The use of botanicals, including cloves and juniper berries for the Altus makes it very special too!
BUT !!!!! We also tasted wild Brett flavors in the Altus.
At first, I thought this to be an infection. Yes, really, but at some point, Trappist beer Orval came into my mind.
It sure is a wanted funky Brett flavor, and the 6.8 vol% is quite fitting the alc% of Orval.
Wauw, this really amazed me. It's actually quite a dry beer too. No wonder as wild yeasts eat sugar that easy  :eyes:
Both beers were very soft on the tongue and had a wonderful velvety soft creamy foam layer.
This immediately reminded me of the beers from La Trappe!

The mystery about these beers is that there is no single mentioning of the brewery where it is brewed  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???

Note that this beer is made through beer firm Anthony Martin, in co-operation with the monastery of Maredret.

The typical La Trappe shape of the glass, that very soft water, that legendary La Trappe velvety foam layer, the similarities with Dominus from Anthony Martin brewed at Koningshoeven (is that actually still brewed?), the abbey link, and the huge distribution through Carrefour supermarket makes me think it is brewed at Koningshoeven (La Trappe). But ofcourse, I could be completely wrong :)

Anyway, what a great beers, and they are already inside my top beer list of today !!

Need to pay my local supermarket Carrefour a visit ASAP  t_u

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

A very interesting story behind these beers. Thanks for sharing that Filip!

Would love to try them someday, but probably not possible unless I can make it back to beautiful Belgium.  F_C

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Hi John,
I also forgot to mention that both beers have different label measures.
The Triplus has a bigger front- and back label compared to the Altus.
The top of the label says "Ora et Labora" (pray and work), which is not the case with the Altus.
Also, the back label from the Triplus is bigger, actually the same ast the front label.
This keeps me thinking that both beers could be brewed at 2 different breweries. Labels actually can reveal ALOT!!!
That wild yeast flavor (Bretts) in the Altus keeps me thinking, knowing Anthony Martins owns Timmermans brewery where lambic is brewed!! => Bretts!!!
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Quote from: Trappist on February 22, 2024, 10:29:17 AMHi John,
I also forgot to mention that both beers have different label measures.
The Triplus has a bigger front- and back label compared to the Altus.
The top of the label says "Ora et Labora" (pray and work), which is not the case with the Altus.
Also, the back label from the Triplus is bigger, actually the same ast the front label.
This keeps me thinking that both beers could be brewed at 2 different breweries. Labels actually can reveal ALOT!!!
That wild yeast flavor (Bretts) in the Altus keeps me thinking, knowing Anthony Martins owns Timmermans brewery where lambic is brewed!! => Bretts!!!
Cheers,
Filip

Filip the Beer Detective!   C:-)   I know if anybody can find out the answers it will be you. Thank you for the additional information. Very interesting about the label variations.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on February 23, 2024, 02:32:56 AMFilip the Beer Detective!
:inspector: Actually John, I'm not Hercule Poirot, so, will not find the answer :)
But this all makes Belgian beer tasting that more fun too.

I need a beer

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi Filip,

No doubt some of these larger "conglomerates" with more than one
brand and brewery location can be difficult to pin down regarding
the exact location any brew is actually made.

Maybe an email to their marketing department might get a result?

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on February 24, 2024, 12:42:14 PMMaybe an email to their marketing department might get a result?
Good idea Viv,
I already posted the question on facebook BBB group and tagged the big names from Anthony Martin ..... without any answer though :)
It'll remain a good kept secret  :chin:

Here are more details about the Altus.

Nice to read that the Altus is a mixed-fermented beer, i.e. top- and spontaneous!!
Knowing Anthony Martin owns bry Timmermans (lambic brewery), makes that wild yeast Brett flavour very obvious to me  :eyes:

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Quote from: Trappist on February 21, 2024, 12:34:28 PMThe typical La Trappe shape of the glass, that very soft water, that legendary La Trappe velvety foam layer, the similarities with Dominus from Anthony Martin brewed at Koningshoeven (is that actually still brewed?), the abbey link, and the huge distribution through Carrefour supermarket makes me think it is brewed at Koningshoeven (La Trappe). But ofcourse, I could be completely wrong :)

And damn wrong I really could be !!!!

I bought me the Altus and Triplus at Carrefour yesterday afternoon here in Bruges at B-park.
Yes, they are open on Sundays  :)

Here they are!
BUT !!!!!    :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:
What do I see? The label from the Altus is bigger now than the Triplus one.
That was completely other way round when we tasted at De HOPtimist ???
And the back label from the Altus is smaller than the Triplus. At HOPtimist they had about the same size ???

What happened?

This makes it all so confusing to me though.
The shape of the Best Before date printing is different as well.
They must be brewed at different breweries, no?

Both are brewed in Belgium!
Koningshoeven? Forget it :)
Well, not the ones I bought at Carrefour.
The official address of beer firm Anthony Martin is at Waterloo these days.
In 2021, the Anthony Martin group company moved its head offices from Genval to the Waterloo farm, hence this address being on the label.
Source: https://waterloo-beer.com/en/history/

But what most intrigued me was the mouth feeling.....AND.... the foam appearance.
No problem with the flavors, they are made with the same recipe.
Flavor wise they are technically the same beers, and tasted also similar.
But the ones I bought at Carrefour didn't have that velvety soft mouth feeling.
Nothing was left from that La Trappe alike silky layer of foam, which I prefer so much more.

It wouldn't surpise me if the Triplus is brewed at Du Bocq, as the Waterloo beers are also brewed over there.
Definitely not sure about the Altus. The different labels, different BBF date printing, makes it confusing.
And also the use of wild yeast at a brewery like Du Bocq could be too tricky for them.

Anyway folks, the MYSTERY still lingers, and will linger for a LOOOONG time, believe me....

Cheers,
 :inspector:  Filip  :inspector:  (who still favors both beers, if not that creamy velvety soft though)
–- Thomas Jefferson