Belgian Beer Board

Linda’s birthday weekend

Started by Jay, February 05, 2024, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Hi everyone

This Saturday was Linda's birthday, so in the days leading up to and after (work shifts permitting) we celebrated as a family.

Kicking things off on Thursday (our day off work) and she suggested a family trip to Rivington Brewery, a new beer was released that very day so Rivvy it was.

As it a rather cold and gloomy day we chose to sit inside rather than outside as we normally do but this gave us chance to sit in the newly revamped taproom.

We kicked things off with one of Rivingtons highest rated beers Blood Machines and the very beer we had come for - Terrain, a colab with Glasshouse brewery, both absolutely fresh and both so packed with juicy fresh hops.

Next off a No Day For A Do and perhaps their most famous beer Never Known Fog Like It, again both complete hop bombs.

After some food from the onsite Asian catering van "Tikka Chance On Me" it was time for Linda to raid the beer fridge for takeout bottles and cans before one last beer each

Linda opted for Yula - an Imperial Stout brewed with Las Laderas Pacamara coffee beans, Madagascan vanilla beans and cocoa nibs and myself a 3% ABV pale ale.
With beers this fresh the flavours are absolutely banging (even with the lower ABV) so much ripe juicy hops.

By chance Linda had picked me a bottle of the Yula  to bring home and whilst reading the back of the label it stated that half of the beer had been put into 375ml bottles and the other half placed in barrels to release at a later date (Rivingtons first barrel aged beer) I had to find out more...

The other half has been split between two barrels, Whisky and Sherry. They said they haven't set a date for its release, rather it will be when it's "done its stuff" could be 6 months could be 12 - however long we'll be back for its release

Time to head back home from another wonderful trip to Rivington with quite the impressive beer haul.

Saturday was Linda's birthday but we were both in work 👎🏻 however they changed our shifts so we could finish early and still celebrate 👍🏻

And boy did we open some cracking beers but starting with something different, a Basque Sidra and my very last bottle...however -

Our next trip is in a little over 4 weeks and we're revisiting San Sebastián AND Linda has booked us on a Basque Sidra House tour and tasting AND to the very Sidra we were sampling.

It's amazing just how "appley" this cider is, it pours flat so you need to pour from a high to open up the Sidra.

Now it's back to the beers and after that taster of the Rivington Terrain I had to try a can and just a few days old this was truly fresh.

Rivington X Glasshouse - Terrain...6.4% IPA

Soft pillowy mouthfeel, sweet candied citrus with lovely bitter hops...a true hop bomb, absolutely stunning and easily the best sub 7% beer I've had.

Another stunning IPA only this time from America in the form of Syndicate 8.7% NEIPA from Commonwealth Brewery out of Virginia.

Ripe juicy mango, pineapple, candied citrus with bitter hops cutting through

Now to finish a couple of absolute stunners...

Three Floyds Dark Lord - Cavaleiro Of Varnov (2018)...15% Imperial Stout aged in Oloroso Sherry Barrels - bottle #478/1665

Masses and masses AND MASSES of sweet sticky Sherry, puréed raisins, Sherry soaked oak, fudge, dark fruits.....insane 😋

Ending with this beauty

Cuvée Prestige De Garre Barrel Aged - De Garre Tripel aged for 24 weeks in Old Forester and Early Times Bourbon Barrels

It's the classic house beer we love (banana bread, clove and crisp apple) but there's also sweet Bourbon in the background.....not as barrel heavy compared to UK or American beers but there's enough to give it that extra twist 🇧🇪❤️

Cheers to a wonderful weekend

Jay  t_u

John B

My goodness, some fantastic beers you've been enjoying!

It's really nice to see good beer is being made in so many places around the world nowadays.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Hi Jay,
Nice report from a very nice happy birthday to Linda celebration happening  t_u
That Three Floyds Dark Lord - Cavaleiro Of Varnov (2018)... at 15 vol% lopoks so damn amazing to me. WAUW   :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:
Thanks for sharing Jay !!

This Sunday, Katrien and myself are going to Italy for one week.
Abruzzo is the region. Pescara the city.
Belgian beer? Here it is, and in walking distance from our hotel: https://maps.app.goo.gl/cKvLPERLhz5kD5GR7
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Cheers guys  t_u it sure was a great birthday weekend filled with great trips out and of course some great beers  :culsec:

Quote from: Trappist on February 06, 2024, 01:48:08 PM
That Three Floyds Dark Lord - Cavaleiro Of Varnov (2018)... at 15 vol% lopoks so damn amazing to me. WAUW   :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:  :eyes:

That sure was a beast of a beer Filip (picked up at Warpigs in Copenhagen last year) it was so rich, sweet and sticky from the Sherry barrel...no wonder it took me 2 days to finish  ;D

Cheers
Jay  t_u

Trappist

Quote from: Jay on February 07, 2024, 12:53:03 AM...no wonder it took me 2 days to finish  ;D

:find: Wauw Jay ... 2 days !!!  :find:
That's the good thing about those stronger beers. One can enjoy for much longer periods, and I'm sure this beer didn't loose any of it's qualities after two days  :appauding-1:
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Quote from: Trappist on February 06, 2024, 01:48:08 PM
This Sunday, Katrien and myself are going to Italy for one week.
Abruzzo is the region. Pescara the city.

You both have a wonderful time in Italy, no doubt indulging in some delicious food, beer and wine.

Safe journey mate
Jay  t_u

Trappist

Thanks Jay !!
We sure will have a great time and there is alot of local specialities too.
https://www.abruzzoinformation.com/en/typical-abruzzo-products-20-specialties-to-taste/
The one thing I probably won't taste is this one:
"Creamy and greedy, the Marcetto Cheese is a pecorino cheese typical of the area of Castel del Monte , in the province of L'Aquila. Has a strong, decisive, spicy flavor and an equally intense perfume: characteristics that derive from a particularity of its processing, that is the action of the larvae of fly Piophila Casei"
A couple of good beery spots too
https://www.ratebeer.com/places/city/pescara/588/102/
But the Delirium café is permanently closed I see.
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson