Belgian Beer Board

Diebels Alt

Started by Viv, January 21, 2024, 09:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viv

DIEBELS ALT  t_u  t_u  t_u

Alt from Diebels, with an ABV of 4.9%. Last tasted in 2002; my favourite Alt beer;
my last tasting of this style was 2006.

Pours a deep ruby mahogany copper, with a huge frothy creamy head. Great lacing.

Aroma of hops, malts and spices.

Thin bodied, and perfectly carbonated. It's a session beer, not a sipper, so there's
little in the way of complexity but there's enough to maintain interest throughout,
and it's nicely rounded, and there's plenty of depth of flavour. It's crisp, fresh,
sharp, malty, hoppy, coffee, dark chocolate, mocha, caramel, quite dry overall with
a slight and light fruity bitter hop finish. Silky smooth, and very easy drinking.

Another fine and traditional style from Dusseldorf in Germany.

Cheers!

Viv

John B

Ahhh yes, when I visited Germany a number of times I'd go out for bicycle rides in the Essen area, not too far from Dusseldorf. This beer was everywhere and cheap, so I'd often purchase a bottle for consumption on the ride home. Was never quite sure how the German laws looked upon drinking in public, so usually I'd go find a place in the woods along the river to enjoy the beer.

Speaking of cheap, it always amazed me that some beers were actually cheaper to buy than water of the same quantity. I'd heard that was the case before I went to Germany the first time, but didn't believe it until I saw it.

Prost! - John