Belgian Beer Board

Flemish Style Rabbit in Beer Sauce

Started by Trappist, January 15, 2024, 02:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

Hi,
Yesterday was Flemish Style Rabbit in Beer Sauce at Home!

I always make it with the regular dark table beer.
This one is bought at supermarket Colruyt, and is 1.5 vol% weak.
I dont add any water for the sauce, but instead add an extra 33cl bottle of Guinness Special Export 8 vol%.
https://www.guinness.com/en/beers/guinness-special-export
Guinness Special Export was specially exported to Belgium in the 1940s, and was the first Guinness beer to be served in Belgium after World War 2.

That's a whole rabbit to be precise!

It's essential to pair with cooked potatoes.
Mashing the potatoes with the beery sauce is a FEAST !!!
According the recipe from my mother who got it from her mother, one should need 2 big yellow onions.
The 'trick' is to firstly fine chop the onions and fry them in margarine till they become nearly burnt!
This is essential, because we need that caramel burnt smokey flavor form the onions.
It's a tricky job, because it depends on seconds. Too burnt isn't ok, but too less burnt isn't ok either.
The finely chopped onions need to have that slight black burnt edge. VERY important!
Adding the black Guinness which is also burnt malty, gives it that extra touch.
It will give a nice caramel flavor to the sauce and makes it also much darker in color.
Note that the burnt malt bitterness reduces with the cooking process (1.5 hours).
The glossy shine on the sauce is essential too.

HEAVEN !!!

BTW.... we have alot of leftover, but tha'll taste even more delicious soon this evening!
Things will have evolved into much more completion and much more enjoyment. Can't wait......

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson