Belgian Beer Board

Monte Cristo

Started by Viv, August 26, 2023, 11:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viv

MONTE CRISTO  t_u  t_u  t_u  t_u  t_u

Strong Dark Ale, aged on Sherry and oak barrels, from Bosteels, with an ABV of 11.5%.

New brew for me.

Pours a very dark black with hint of burgundy, with a good sized frothy creamy head.
Good lacing.

Aromas of malts, spices and sherry.

Medium to full bodied, complex, balanced and great depth of flavour. Nicely carbonated.
Very smooth creamy and luxurious mouthfeel and texture, with plenty of malts, burnt malts,
vanilla, spices, caramel, oak, hazelnuts, and a strong background of sherry, bourbon,
and armagnac. Sweetish, quite vinous, with a nice long dryish finish. Outstanding brew!

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Hi Viv,
I always buy me this excellent beer at supermarket Delhaize.
But it is not there anymore ?
Even online not available: https://www.delhaize.be/nl/shop/Dranken-en-alcohol/Bier/Degustatiebier/Donker-en-amber-bier/Bruin-bier-11-5-alc/p/S2021071600568690000
Same situation for other online shops.
I wonder if this beer has been discontinued, or maybe it is a seasonal brew? I hope it's the latter !!! fingers  F_C
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi Filip,

I think that I got the last 2 bottles available in my recent order, and the sell-by date
was close, so I think that maybe it is brewed on a seasonal basis. It doesn't mention
anything on their website, but often any barrel aging is on a batch/seasonal basis.

Let's hope I can get me some more sometime in the near future.

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on August 27, 2023, 07:12:28 PMLet's hope I can get me some more sometime in the near future.

You will Viv !!

I bought me a couple at supermarket Delhaize !

€3.39 for one bottle. (not cheap)
But, I was lucky, got the second bottle at half price. A promotion at Delhaize.
This beer is still as great as ever.
That silky softness is UNREAL !!! What a beauty!!

Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson