Belgian Beer Board

Chimay Cinq Cents in a CAN !

Started by Trappist, August 11, 2023, 10:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

The first Belgian-Trappist Cans are hitting the U.S.! Now available in select markets and nation-wide by Fall 2023!

One can expect the same world-renowned Trappist quality...

✓ Can Conditioned
✓ Authentic Trappist Product
✓ Smooth mouthfeel of draft
✓ Can prevents beer from being light struck

Now the CHIMAY experience can safely travel to the beach, campsite, golf course and beyond. Just don't forget your chalice...

https://www.globalbeer.com/beers/chimay-cinq-cents-ale/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvxRWs4gDAY/?img_index=1

:chin:

The fake one: https://eloi.largepret.be/chimay.html

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

You CAN be sure I'll keep my  :eyes:  on the lookout for this, and will report back here with a tasting impression.

Cheers! - John

Tony

I don't know if is in England yet. I'll ask at my local beer shop tomorrow. Whereas you can get bottled conditioned beer I don't think Canned be can be can conditioned, anybody?

Trappist

Quote from: Tony on August 16, 2023, 08:56:10 AMWhereas you can get bottled conditioned beer I don't think Canned be can be can conditioned, anybody?
Hi Tony,
I think it is possible.
https://www.allagash.com/blog/about-beer/what-is-can-conditioning/
If done properly, it should be safe.
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

BUT...
The one thing I don't like about canned can conditioned beers is actually linked to that can conditioning.
When pouring from that can, you actually have no visual control about leaving or wanting to pour the yeast sediment along.
Many people want their beer without the sediment (not me) its a problem.
Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Well folks, yesterday I spotted this canned Chimay in one of the large liquor retailers called Total Wine & More, located near my place of work. I purchased a single can to give it a try. 4 Packs of the cans were priced at $17.99. They still had some 4 packs of the bottled version as well, but priced considerably higher, at $25.99! Yikes. Why such a huge difference in price for the same beer in the same amount, I have no idea. I meant to purchase a single bottle as well, to do a side by side comparison between the canned version and the bottled version, but I got distracted looking at other beers in the store and completely forgot to grab a bottle before I left. So, I'll have to try to remember as best I can what the Chimay tripel was like the last time I had it, which was probably about 6 or 7 years ago.

This canned one poured a nice hazy golden color. Again, going from my memory of this beer from years ago in a bottle I had expected it to be a lot less hazy. But of course that could be my memory playing tricks on me. This canned version also seemed slightly less carbonated than I recalled the bottled one being. There was a lovely pillowy white head which remained throughout the duration, along with that nice Belgian Trappist yeast aroma.

This one went down very smoothly. There was what I'd describe as an almost creamy sensation to it. The taste was pretty much as I remembered it from before, but overall I really enjoyed this beer more than I remembered from years ago. Think I'll pick up some more soon, and try and remember to pick up a bottle this time for a side by side tasting.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on August 28, 2023, 10:16:08 PM4 Packs of the cans were priced at $17.99. They still had some 4 packs of the bottled version as well, but priced considerably higher, at $25.99! Yikes. Why such a huge difference in price for the same beer in the same amount, I have no idea.
Hi John,
Very nice to see you already have managed to buy the cans. I didn't see them here in Belgium yet  :chin:
It seems they are meant for export purposes.
A good idea if I read you need to pay MUCH more for the bottles at same volumes.
I'm not an expert in export logistics and how that all needs to cost.
But I can imagine that packaging cans is much more convenient than heavier bottles than can break.
Cans are the key for export !!
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi John,

That picture doesn't look particularly appetising. Looks a bit cloudy
and flat ( ie little carbonation ).

Cans are probably weaker than bottles so would break more easily?

Cheers!

Viv