Belgian Beer Board

Stille Nacht Reserva

Started by Viv, April 29, 2023, 09:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viv

STILLE NACHT RESERVA  t_u  t_u  t_u  t_u  t_u

Stille Nacht aged in oak barrels for 2 years, in 2018, and bottled in 2020. ABV of 12.0%. New brew for me.

My 1,800th Belgian Brew tasted!!!!!

Pours a crystal clear golden amber, with a good sized bubbly fizzy head that dissipates fairly quickly but leaves a solid residue throughout. Some lacing.

Lovely aroma with some brett, jam, marmalade, hops, malts and spices.

It's full bodied, and full flavoured, with a nice carbonation level. This is extremely complex, layered, and balanced, with a certain refinement too. However, I found it just so much better once it had warmed up as initially it seemed a little harsh. There's plenty of wood- oak and pine; ripe fruit- pear, apples, prunes, figs, dates, peach, sultana, raisin; grains, caramel, yeast, vanilla, spices, alcohol, grapes, citrus, vinegar, sweet sherry, brandy; it's also bretty, tart, and sharp, with a long dry finish. There's definitely a vinous quality too. Amazing stuff indeed! I was expecting a TOP10 brew but after one tasting I don't rate it quite
that highly but it's still a wonderful top quality brew! I am sure that it will grow on me.....

Cheers!

Viv

John B

It's been probably close to 10 years since I've seen any of those on the shelves for purchase, so about that long since I actually drank one. Lovely beer.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on April 29, 2023, 09:14:04 AMMy 1,800th Belgian Brew tasted!!!!!

And what a beer you choose Viv for that amazing occasion!!!
it's so true that alot of Dolle beers do give that harshness. Something I also experience.
When the Rodenbach yeast was used (long time ago already), the beers were so much smoother and so much more mellow.
But still, they can be considered amongst the best beers Belgium has to offer.
That Reserva is a true masterpiece.
Now, if Kris could handle that harshness, it would be an aboslute number ONE beer!
Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Quote from: John B on April 30, 2023, 06:30:44 PMIt's been probably close to 10 years since I've seen any of those on the shelves for purchase, so about that long since I actually drank one. Lovely beer.

Cheers! - John
That's really too bad John,
But maybe sometime soon, an Amercian importer could distribute into your region  F_C
Somehow, there is no Belgian exporter that does that job, which frankly is quite a mystery to me though  :chin:
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson