Belgian Beer Board

Belle-Vue Selection Gueuze

Started by Viv, April 25, 2023, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viv

BELLE-VUE SELECTION GUEUZE  t_u  t_u  t_u

Gueuze from Belle-Vue (Inbev) with an ABV of 6.2%. New brew for me.

Pours a crystal clear golden blonde with a good sized bubbly frothy head. Little lacing is produced.

Aroma of wheat, hay, straw, and honey.

It's thin bodied, with a prickly effervescent mouthfeel. As its coldest, and without the sediments added, it is very puckering indeed! Sour, bretty, sharp, acidic, citric, astringent, fruity with vinegar, caramel and grains. It's not overly complex, some layers, and good depth of flavour but it is so smooth and even vinous. Not really balanced or rounded either however. Nevertheless, for the second half of my tasting I poured the entire remaining contents of the bottle into the glass and this resulted in a cloudy beer. Immediately all the harsh profiles became far more mellow, and background leaving a smooth, rounded and mildly flavoured lambic which was far easier to taste! Conclusion: a good brew although just below average for the style, being one that is definitely enjoyed most when served having emptied the entire bottle ( something which I don't normally do ) !

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Hi Viv,
Highly intriguing Sélection Lambic there!

The news article on their website introducing the duo: https://ab-inbev.be/nl_BE/news/selection-lambic-brouwerij-belle-vue-brengt-traditionele-bieren-opnieuw-uit

It intrigues me that originally they would have wanted to put the name Oude Gueuze (à l'ancienne) on it.
But your bottle and all the pictures I found on the internet (except for the ones on their website) only show the word Gueuze!
Not really that good sign I think  :chin:

Also knowing they prolonged the Gueuze for one year only. Not the Kriek.

Made it in 33cl bottles.
And afterwards no successors anymore.
It seems to me they abandoned the whole idea (again).
That's really too bad.
But after all, those sour beers are extremely acquired flavors, and the selling rates sure weren't into their expectations.
Hence the discontinuing  ::::::( (I think)

ABInBev should seriously re-think about a 3th. introduction.
As we say in Belgium: "Derde Keer, Goede Keer"  F_C

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi Filip,

Belle-Vue had been around a long time, since 1913 in fact, and was an established brewer/blender.

However, now under InBev, things are looked at differently. There are
now a higher number of lambic producers than 10 years ago, and maybe
sales have levelled or dropped off maybe due to the financial climate
and the rise of craft/novelty beers, such as Milkshake IPAs, Fruit Sours,
Pastry Stouts, etc, etc. I don't think trying to sell Lambic beer in
330ml bottles works either. Too near the sweetened varieties in 250ml
bottles too. Lambics and Belgian sours are very much a niche market and
don't appeal to the vast majority of beer drinkers. Apart from the one-off
tickers in many cases.

The market is continually evolving and extremely competitive worldwide and unless you have a well-known brand and/or name eg Chimay, Westmalle, Delerium, Gouden Carolus, etc, then you are going to find it hard!

Cheers!

Viv 

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on April 27, 2023, 10:14:49 AMThe market is continually evolving and extremely competitive worldwide and unless you have a well-known brand and/or name eg Chimay, Westmalle, Delerium, Gouden Carolus, etc, then you are going to find it hard!
Hi Viv,
That's indeed a very sad reality.
But still I think the mighty ABInBev can easily make an exception and still continu that wonderful Belle-Vue Sélection idea.
Just as a nice present to all the Gueuze lovers that still love to try an authentic artisanal Old Gueuze.
Do they have a sensitive heart? I think they sure have!
For them peanuts to re-introduce that idea and please that minority of Gueuze lovers.
Also, that mentioning of the year on the bottle is quite interesting. After decades one can do those vintage tastings with exactly knowing from which year every brew is.
Smetimes, life isn't always about making money, and an exception like that is just a truelu utterly fantastic idea!!
Van Honsebrouck still does it with their amazing Gueuze Fond Tradition. Great example  t_u

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson