Belgian Beer Board

Two Special Beers at HOPtimist - Bruges

Started by Trappist, January 16, 2023, 01:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

Hi,
Yesterday was HOPtimist beer pub time again (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057556414813)

My first beer was this cellar left over.
Kapittel Watou Aged - 7.7 vol%
A dark sweet-sour beer aged for 30 months  :exclamation: . During this ripening process, wood chips, herbs and fruit (blue berries) were added.
Perfect sweet and sour balanced with a fruity blue berry touch.
This beer is quite similar to Rodenbnach Grand Cru. Only, this one is much more fruity.
Quite a refreshing beer this is, and a perfect beer to start the session.

It's always very nice to pay De HOPtimist that visit during late December, begin January.
That's because this beautiful Xmas lighting is installed against the ceiling and makes this place even that much more cosy.

Last beers for the road.....  t_u

From tap: Gouden Carolus Indulgence – Cuvée Sauvage - 9.8 vol%.

Gouden Carolus Indulgence is a limited series of beers brewed every year with varying content.

Cuvée Sauvage is the 2nd variety to be produced under this label.
Gouden Carolus Imperial Blond (old name: Gouden Carolus Cuvée van de Keizer Rood) was blended with 2- and 3-year-old Lambic (20%) from the Boon Brewery (Lembeek).
This union combines the best of two brewing traditions: full-bodied and subtly flavored.
Wow, this was really amazing!!!
You can easily taste the Lambic that's been used. Gives it that funkiness and a nice subtle sourness.
But that sourness is greatly counterbalanced with the sweetness from the Imperial Blond, and makes it such a sweet-sour-fruity masterpiece.

I'm a bit confused about how this is available today from tap  ???
Knowing this was a one-off experience made in 2016, and available from big 75cl. bottles.
https://www.hetanker.be/en/gouden-carolus-indulgence-2016-cuv%C3%A9e-sauvage
But see, it seems there is that second batch from tap these days.
Highly  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:

Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

I know the lighting can make a big difference in the appearance when taking beer pictures, but the difference is striking when comparing your photo of the Gouden Carolus to the one on the Het Anker website that you've linked to. They almost look like two completely different beers.

Is it simply a matter of lighting making it appear that way Filip, or are they actually somewhat different in appearance, possibly because it's a second batch and/or from tap?

Cheers! - John 

Viv

Hi Filip,

I've tasted the Cuvee Sauvage, as well as the Botanik, Hopscure, and I
have a bottle of the Funken to taste soon. All excellent brews indeed.

I'm not sure whether the Whisky Infused was first released as one of this
series. I think that it was so popular and in-demand that Het Anker
decided to brew it continually.

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Quote from: John B on January 16, 2023, 08:35:08 PMIs it simply a matter of lighting making it appear that way Filip, or are they actually somewhat different in appearance, possibly because it's a second batch and/or from tap?
Hi John,
It sure is a lighting thing.
I took the picture at a very dark room, with flash light.
Gives a kind of reflection, not showing the real color of the beer.
It actually was a hazy dark blond beer, but certainly not as blond as what is shown on my initial link towards the Gouden Carolus Indulgence – Cuvée Sauvage page.

https://untappd.com/b/brouwerij-het-anker-gouden-carolus-indulgence-2022-cuvee-sauvage/4805635/photos

The pictures that are shown on Untappd are much more showing the reality.

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on January 17, 2023, 09:01:17 AMI'm not sure whether the Whisky Infused was first released as one of this
series. I think that it was so popular and in-demand that Het Anker
decided to brew it continually.

Hi Viv,
The first Whisky infused was indeed produced in 2015, as the ever first Indulgence beer.
You are correct to say that due to its success they made it a permanent brew.
I think the Gouden Carolus Indulgence – Cuvée Sauvage could also have become something permanent, as the 2022 is available from tap these days.
This is a great decision similar to Duvel Tripel Hop Cashmere, which intentionally was also produced as a one-off, but see it's readily available whole year round.
LOVE decisions like that  t_u
Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Quote from: Trappist on January 17, 2023, 12:36:28 PM
Quote from: John B on January 16, 2023, 08:35:08 PMIs it simply a matter of lighting making it appear that way Filip, or are they actually somewhat different in appearance, possibly because it's a second batch and/or from tap?
Hi John,
It sure is a lighting thing.
I took the picture at a very dark room, with flash light.
Gives a kind of reflection, not showing the real color of the beer.
It actually was a hazy dark blond beer, but certainly not as blond as what is shown on my initial link towards the Gouden Carolus Indulgence – Cuvée Sauvage page.

https://untappd.com/b/brouwerij-het-anker-gouden-carolus-indulgence-2022-cuvee-sauvage/4805635/photos

The pictures that are shown on Untappd are much more showing the reality.

Cheers,
Filip

Ahhh, I thought so. Thanks for clearing that up Filip!  t_u

Cheers! - John