Belgian Beer Board

Duvel Single Fermented

Started by John B, December 22, 2022, 12:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

This is one I picked up as it was offered in a 4 pack gift box with some golf balls included. I used to play golf quite a bit 30 to 40 years ago and was decent at it. Then I pretty much stopped for a couple of reasons, and now it's been almost 20 years since I've played an actual round of golf.

Well, my 77 year old neighbor gave me a very small set of clubs (not a complete set, but enough to get by) because he can't play anymore, and there's a golf course only 3 minutes from where I live so, I am considering getting out there again and swatting that little round ball back and forth. And so I saw this gift set with the sleeve of 3 golf balls and thought "Why not?". I love the game, and I need to get outside more often, so ...

This is the 4 pack of cans of the Duvel Single Fermented edition. It's not a bad beer, and for the price, along with the golf balls that I hope to use, it was a good deal. Yes, I prefer the "regular" Duvel, but this one is pretty good.

Cheers, and Fore! - John

Viv

Hi John,

I had never heard of this brew! Apparently it was introduced in 2018,
and is sold in cans ( and kegs ) but not bottles.

I quote from the website:

"What's the difference between Duvel and Duvel Single Fermented?

Both Duvel and Duvel Single Fermented are brewed using the same ingredients: water, two-row summer malts, Saaz and Styrian Golding hops.

While classic Duvel (in bottles) undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle, Duvel Single Fermented is dry hopped with Citra, cold filtered, and after 30 days of conditioning ready to be served. Duvel has an ABV of 8.5%, and Duvel Single Fermented has an ABV of 6.8%

Duvel Single fermented is packaged into kegs and 4-pack cans. As a result of the different fermentation processes. These two masterful beers are from the same family: they have familiar flavor and aroma characteristics, but are clearly different.

This Belgian strong blond has a fine soft carbonation and a large head with good retention. Duvel Single Fermented is transparent and has no residual yeast. When drinking a Duvel Single Fermented you will notice subtle citrus notes, and a gentle herbal, green hoppiness. Light on the tongue, smooth, bright and heavenly refreshing"

I will add it on my "to get list"....

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

HI John & Viv,
Interesting tasting moment!!
When I see Duvel in a can, I always thinks about their weaker Duvel green version, but when they state there's Citra hops used, that idea can be classified vertically. Maybe the basis beer (the green) could well be the same. I'm clueless really  :chin:

It's also a mystery to me why someone got the idea to sell the Duvel single fermented with golf balls added.
Looks like a very American thing to me. It sure would not work over here in Belgium.

And could I be wrong to say that this beer could actually be brewed at Cooperstown  ???

Cheers and good luck John with the golf play  t_u
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi guys,

Duvel Green. I tasted it once many many years ago, and can't
say I have ever wanted to taste it again. There's nothing
wrong with the brew whatsoever but I simply much prefer to drink
the ( red/normal ) Duvel. Duvel is Duvel. Full stop.

One thing I do know is that beer ( &/or any alcohol ) and golf
do not mix! Ever...!

Anyway, I guess if you send 1,000 empty cans to Duvel they might give
you a free putter to go with the balls, as a reward for your loyalty!? 

John, enjoy probably the best game there is. But it's a big commitment
especially in terms of time!

Cheers!

Viv

Viv

Hi guys,

That box picture looks like a pack of batteries rather than beer cans.

Just a thought.

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on December 22, 2022, 12:31:21 PMOne thing I do know is that beer ( &/or any alcohol ) and golf
do not mix! Ever...!
Yes Viv, so wrong this is :)
I'm sure if you had two of those cans, you never hit that golf ball. Actually, ypu would see two of them.
I bet one would always choose to go for the wrong (non existing) one  :)
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on December 22, 2022, 12:33:15 PMThat box picture looks like a pack of batteries rather than beer cans.
Looks like Duracel batteries Viv :)
Those cans sure will get you loaded  O:-)
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Quote from: Trappist on December 22, 2022, 10:09:53 AMHI John & Viv,
Interesting tasting moment!!
When I see Duvel in a can, I always thinks about their weaker Duvel green version, but when they state there's Citra hops used, that idea can be classified vertically. Maybe the basis beer (the green) could well be the same. I'm clueless really  :chin:

It's also a mystery to me why someone got the idea to sell the Duvel single fermented with golf balls added.
Looks like a very American thing to me. It sure would not work over here in Belgium.

And could I be wrong to say that this beer could actually be brewed at Cooperstown  ???

Cheers and good luck John with the golf play  t_u
Filip

Hi Filip and Viv,

According to the Duvel website, the Single Fermented is brewed in Belgium. I seem to remember the back of the can saying that as as well.

https://www.duvel.com/en-us/news/duvel-single-fermented-cans-are-hitting-the-shelves#:~:text=Brewed%20in%20Belgium%20with%20two,beautifully%20balanced%20and%20remarkably%20refreshing.

As for my golf game, well it's so rusty after not having played in such a long time that it probably doesn't matter if I drink beer or not while playing. And anyway, I'm at the point where the score really isn't even all that important to me any more. Just getting out in the great beautiful outdoors and enjoying knocking the ball around a bit is enough fun for me.

Cheers! - John 

Trappist

Quote from: John B on December 23, 2022, 01:30:33 AMAccording to the Duvel website, the Single Fermented is brewed in Belgium. I seem to remember the back of the can saying that as as well.
Hi John,
That looks quite reliable info.
This beer intrigues me alot.
It's so difficult to find the details on the Duvel website  :chin:
Actually, you need to consult the US/EN language news section ==> the https://www.duvel.com/en-us/news
Not mentioned elsewhere. Very strange to me.
Also their Duvel groen isn't in the picture anymore. Is that a sign it will abandone their range?
Is that single fermented Duvel the same beer as Duvel groen, but with an extra Citra dry-hopping, to suit the American flavor?
All questions that really intrigue me alot  :chin:
Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Oh !! and I just found out that they also made special glasses for this beer!

American style .. ofcourse :)

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Hi Filip,

That Duvel green is a beer that I've never even seen in person before, so maybe it never officially was imported here.

Interesting theory of yours that maybe this Single Fermented is the same beer but with a bit of extra dry hopping. Wonder what the story is about that.  :chin:

I've never seen that glass here either. Not a remarkable piece of glassware, but nice in its own way.

Cheers! - John