Belgian Beer Board

Non Belgian beers

Started by Jay, July 24, 2021, 06:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Hi everyone

Yesterday was my regular weekly #BelgianSunday and instead of a true Belgian I instead opted for a Belgian inspired beer and one that I brought back from Copenhagen.

I picked this up at The Social Beer Shop, a bottle shop that is co-owned by Mikkeller and People Like Us. Along with the beer (and others) I also picked up the People Like Us glass, such a delicate piece I was so relieved it made it home unscathed.

People Like Us - Belgian People Like Us 7.2% Belgian Dubbel.

Rich malts, biscuit, dark crusty bread, caramel, nuts, dark fruits....a beer that's true to the style.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

Trappist

Interesting Jay!
A beautiful wine shape glass, and the can having the Belgian colors.
Normally, Belgian dubbels are dark beers, so that was quite a surprise to see an amber colored beer here.
But I presume the brewer was more fixed on the alcohol%, which with its 7.2 vol% is perfect for a dubbel.... hence naming it a dubbel.
Great presentation though and a beautiful can too, containing a great Belgian style beer  t_u  t_u  t_u
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Quote from: Trappist on May 31, 2022, 09:52:22 AMNormally, Belgian dubbels are dark beers, so that was quite a surprise to see an amber colored beer here.
But I presume the brewer was more fixed on the alcohol%, which with its 7.2 vol% is perfect for a dubbel.... hence naming it a dubbel.

That's what I noticed as well Filip, it's more a hazy chestnut coloured beer rather than the deep brick red we're used to with true Belgian Dubbels, thought to be fair the taste was bang on.

It was a colab beer with Danish beer guru Carsten Berthelsen (pictured on the can) and is brewed with dark candi syrup and grape syrup.

Although not my usual style (more into Tripels and Quads) a lighter Dubbel is a nice change, the Belgian title and colours immediately grabbing our attention 🇧🇪

Cheers
Jay  t_u

Trappist

Quote from: Jay on May 31, 2022, 12:56:58 PMCarsten Berthelsen
Hi Jay,
To my surprise, I'm befriended with Carsten on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/carsten.berthelsen.7
I just love his FB top image !! A sign of true Belgian beer passion :)
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Hi everyone,

This Sunday gone was Fathers Day here in the UK and as usual I received some wonderful presents from Linda and our 2 kids (mainly beer, but also a special bottle of Danish Rum) and so here's what I chose at the weekend.

From Track brewing here in Manchester it's their brand new release Track - For All You Give...10% TIPA with Citra, Mosaic, Nelson, Strata & Galaxy hops

Intense fruit cocktail....peach, orange, mango,  pineapple, passion fruit and a herbal / piney finish....stupendously delicious

Next is a rather special release and one I've secretly had my eye on for quite some time...

From one of my favourite US breweries and out of Louisville, Kentucky it's

Against the Grain - Bo & Luke...13% Imperial Stout brewed with ingredients in bourbon whiskey (Barley, Rye, Corn) then smoked with cherry wood and then aged in Bourbon Barrels.

Hints of subtle smoke, bourbon barrel, vanilla, dark chocolate, liquorice, coffee, spicy rye bread...Yee Haw..it even has General Lee coloured wax

Cheers
Jay t_u

Trappist

Quote from: Jay on June 21, 2022, 01:20:39 PMit even has General Lee coloured wax
Tho AMAZING beers Jay  :appauding-1:
The last one needed some research for me though.

It is such an interesting label.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION

Orange Wax (or Reddish orange). Originally an Against the Grain Brewery and Brouwerij De Molen collaboration beer. For the first incarnation, De Molen head brewer Menno Oliver hopped in a muscle car and drove straight through from the Netherlands to Louisville, KY (that's USA folks) to brew this bourbon inspired ale, and we liked it so much, we decided to do it again. We took the ingredients in bourbon whiskey (Barley, Rye, Corn) and then smoked them with cherry wood and brewed a huge imperial stout with them. Then to top it off we aged it in Pappy VanWinkle Bourbon Barrels. The resulting beer is rich, smokey and complex, with a bourbon character of caramel, vanilla and spice. Bottle has orange reddish orange) wax top. Only the first version was aged in Pappy barrels. For further information see - http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/bo-luke-initial-release-vs-later-bottles_256787.htm

It seems that initially, this beer was a collaboration with Dutch De Molen brewery!
Bo & Luke? Ofcourse, from that old series called "The Dukes of Hazzard" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dukes_of_Hazzard
That's a series I've seen many times on local TV when I was young.
And it's featuring that orange car! hence the colors on the label and the wax color. A Really very nice gimmick.

Great article: Finally Revealed: The True Color of the General Lee https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/true-color-general-lee/

I really love those American beers that have that story behind....makes it all that more enjoyable too.

Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson