Belgian Beer Board

Author Topic: Non Belgian beers  (Read 486 times)

Trappist

• Belgian Beer Signature
  • Administrator
  • Fermentation and civilization are inseparable.
    • View Profile
    • Belgian Beer Board
Re: Non Belgian beers
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »
But if the flavour profiles of these experimental novelties begins to become
overwhelmed by the fruit and other additions rather than the beer flavours
then to me it's a no-go. If I want a fruit juice then I will buy a fruit juice!
Viv,
Indeed, beer always needs to have a beer flavor.
If that beer flavor disappears with diluting with fruit juices or other ingredients, it could be more leaning towards a cocktail.
Many times the juice(s) are added before the fermentation  :chin: which makes it even more complicated  :ohno-1:

But as you wisely say: "Everyone to their own of course."

Cheers,
Filip

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:08:13 PM by Trappist »
“Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health.”
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 05:42:48 PM »
If I want a fruit juice then I will buy a fruit juice!

Yes indeed Viv! I've been saying the same since those "juicy" "hazy" IPAs started flooding the market. If I want something that looks and tastes like pineapple juice or orange juice then I'll drink a damn glass of juice, thank you!

Cheers! - John

Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 09:32:49 PM »
Well I think John and Viv had best look away because over the weekend I opened one of The Veil beers that Linda bought me and my oh my check out this bad boy.

The Veil Crazy Berry Mega Tastee Xtreme - 8% Imperial Smoothie-Style Sour Ale with milk sugar and a purée of the blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, and boysenberry.

Absolutely, insanely, XTREME thick pour….total berry purée. Tart freshly crushed berries, sharp dark fruits, smoothie…utterly bonkers stuff, Ribena for grown ups AND CHECK OUT THAT COLOUR  😋

Cheers
Jay  t_u
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 09:34:28 PM by Jay »

Trappist

• Belgian Beer Signature
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Belgian Beer Board
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2021, 09:37:28 AM »
Hi Jay,
Well, if that ain't Xtreme !! It's on the label too :)
>>> XTREME thick pour….total berry purée.<<
I wonder if you drink it chilled or at room temperature ?
But if it is such a purée, I also wonder if it actually is thirst-quenching ?  ???
Anyway, what a gorgeous looking beer you show here Jay, and that color !!! Utterly amazing.

Ribena for grown ups ??
I sure don't know anything about Ribena, so needed to look up things ofcourse :)

DAMN  :blank:

Thanks for sharing Jay.....keep'em coming  :drinks_drunk:

Cheers,
Filip

“Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health.”
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2021, 11:05:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

At the weekend me and Linda celebrated 27 years together, so an extra special beer was called for and one such bottle has been sat patiently at the back of my stash, ready for such an occasion.

This was just one bottle left from a very fortunate haul of three that Linda bought me 4 years ago, a beer that sold out entirely in just 30 minutes, a beer that has for the past 8 years (and still does) tops the list of beers from the UK on Ratebeer…..the beer was Good King Henry Special Reserve from Old Chimneys brewery.

This was a 2017 release but the label states 2015, the beer is aged for 2 years in oak casks - so brewed in 2015 and released in 2017.

4 years have done ZERO harm to the beer, not a hint of ageing or any diminished flavours whatsoever.
It pours like liquid oil (easily one of the thickest pours I’ve encountered) all syrupy and inky black with a thin tan coloured ring of head.
Dark bitter 70% chocolate, liquorice, cocoa, old leather, Whisky barrel and the most perfect mouthfeel….insanely and amazingly delicious.

One of the very best beers I’ve ever had  :appauding-1: and I really do mean top 10 territory.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2021, 12:31:15 AM »
That looks and sounds incredible Jay. You're a stronger man than I to be able to sit on that one for 4 years. a great way to celebrate 27 years with Linda. Congratulations to you both!   :cheers:

Cheers! - John

Trappist

• Belgian Beer Signature
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Belgian Beer Board
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »
Jay,
What a beer to celebrate 27 years with Linda  :appauding-1: t_u
C O N G R A T U L A T I ON S mate!!
I can remember having this beer during a vintage tasting at Bruges beer fest, and can clearly remember that it was a fantastic vintage!
A GREAT beer from the UK.
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson