Belgian Beer Board

Non Belgian beers

Started by Jay, July 24, 2021, 06:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

Wauw!!! That's amazing Jay.
Such a thick beer. looks sooooo syrupy to me.
And those long 3 years of ageing in Willet Rye Whiskey Barrels! What a long time this is  :o  :o  :o
More details can be found here: https://omnipollo.com/en-gb/products/billionaire-s-hot-chocolate-ba
A beer that really takes it to that other level !!
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Great, great pictures and description Jay!!   :appauding-1:

Yes, that's a perfect way to say it ... that beer has some "legs"! The sign of quality right there in the glass, even after the final sip has been taken. Lovely!

There's a beer which I'm hoping  F_C   will be coming my way soon. It's from Lagunitas, and it's their Willettized Stout. It comes out once a year and it's one of the all time bargains, at $11.99 for a 4 pack. A lovely beer, I'll be sure to report back here if/when I can get my hands on some.  Until then, I'll likely have to make so with returning here to your wonderful description of this beauty.

Cheers mate! - John

John B

The Alchemist - Heady Topper

Trappist

John,
Looks like some amazing beer you had  :o

https://vinepair.com/articles/12-things-need-know-heady-topper/

Quote:"Heady Topper is a double IPA ranked as the best New England IPA and the fifth highest-rated beer overall, with a score of 100 on Beer Advocate after approximately 15,000 ratings. Five-star reviews abound, with one fan declaring that Heady Topper lived up to the hype and is "The best beer I've ever had."

Great choice John  t_u

Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi guys,

I think that John was so impressed that he was rendered
speeechless!!!

Cheers!

Viv

John B

Lol Viv, well truth be told I did like the beer and it's certainly well made, but it really didn't stand out to me as being "one of the best in the world". Of course it's all a matter of opinion. The beer I had after this one impressed me a lot more in fact. I'll post that one in a moment.

Cheers! - John

John B

Kern River Citra. An 8.5% Double IPA. Kern River Brewing is a very small brewery located in a very small town where my parents used to take me 50 years ago when I was a kid. Little did I know then that half a century later I'd be appreciating the beers coming out of this little place. But oh boy, this is a good one. If you enjoy the non-hazy type of IPAs, then this one is a great example of what's possible.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on December 09, 2022, 04:36:26 PMLol Viv, well truth be told I did like the beer and it's certainly well made, but it really didn't stand out to me as being "one of the best in the world".

Well, if that isn't some proof that "top 50 best beers in the world rankings" aren't really that "exact science".
This beers gets an amazing 29th. place  :o on Ratebeer though!
https://www.ratebeer.com/top

But as we say over here in Flanders: "Over smaak valt niet te twisten" (There is no arguing about taste)

Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Quote from: John B on December 09, 2022, 07:12:27 PMKern River Brewing is a very small brewery located in a very small town where my parents used to take me 50 years ago when I was a kid.

Hi John,

What a little small brewery at such a little small spot !
https://goo.gl/maps/VBZW6x63ZRdyR4c86
I notice that there is a small shop there (steps away from the brewery), selling beer too.

Thanks for sharing John  t_u

Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Hi Filip, yes that's the little brewery/brewpub there. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from where I live now. I did make a visit there about 5 years ago, my first time back to that area in almost 50 years and my first visit ever to Kern River Brewing. A beautiful place with a couple of lakes and a nice river. Maybe I need to make another drive up there soon.   :chin:

Cheers! - John

John B

A couple of beers that I picked up on my way to the golf course for a bit of practice today. Practice at golf, not beer drinking .... I've had plenty of practice at that.

First one from Beer Zombies out of Las Vegas Nevada. End2End Burners #2. An 8 % hazy IPA Not bad. It's my first drink from this brewery, one of which I'd heard pretty good things about. The brewery wasn't around yet when I lived in Las Vegas, but it seems they're doing ok. I wish them well.

Oh yeah, and the plastic cup ... This was an unplanned stop, and the only drinking vessel available when I got to the golf course. Oh well, that's how life goes sometimes.

And the other one, from Vitamin Sea out of Weymouth MA. A 6.8% IPA, and it impressed me. Very very smooth, and a great balance to it. A beer that I'd happily seek out again if it ever comes this way.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Hi John,
Those are two great looking IPA's !
GREAT sunny shots too. I'm envious  t_u
I reckon the golf course doen't have a beer bar attached?
It sure would be a nice idea. But visited after the golf play ofcourse, and using glasses that are glasses :)

Or maybe....

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Hi Filip,

This course has been around since the 1950's, and at one time was used for a few years in professional PGA events. Players such as Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Sam Snead and other greats have played there. But that was long ago. Nowadays the course is run by the local recreation and parks district, and isn't quite up to the standards of it's glory days but is reasonably priced and usually not that busy except on weekends.

https://www.hesperiagolfclub.com/history/

There used to be a bar inside the clubhouse. Actually it is still there, but they stopped using it a couple of years ago and it sits empty. Unfortunately they don't have one of those nifty snack and beverage carts going around the course, but most courses do.

Cheers! - John

John B

Here's a 6.3% Oatmeal Stout from a small brewery located in the lovely central California town of Atascadero. The brewery is Wild Fields, and it's only been around for about three years but is already making their mark. This past October at the Great American Beer Festival they won three gold medals, and also nabbed the Brewery of the Year award for breweries in their size category.

https://wildfields.com/

I'd been looking forward to trying their beers, but unfortunately they are hard to find outside of their own local region. They do direct shipping to home, and I have been contemplating placing an order, and then today the only place near me that carries decent beer actually got two of their beers in for the first time. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised, so I picked up one of them to try out. This one, the Oatmeal Stout, is called Mountain Moonlight. It wasn't one of the gold medal winners, but between this and the other one (which actually was one of the gold medal winners) I decided it might suit my taste a bit more. The other one was a Scottish-Style Ale called Magic Swirling Sip.

Overall I thought this was one of the better Oatmeal Stouts that I've ever had. It wasn't an especially complex beer, but it hit all the right flavor notes for a beer of this style, leaning mostly on dark chocolate as the backbone but with a slight hint of caramel as it warmed up. The beer got pretty smooth too after it sat out for a while. All in all this one reinforced my desire to try more of Wild Fields' beers. Good stuff! Cheers! - John

John B

Nothing exotic here. It's a 7.5% wheat infused IPA from Lagunitas called A Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. It's been around a while, although the label has changed in the last couple of years to make it more politically correct. I guess even a caricature of Betty Boop would be frowned upon these days. Well anyway ...

Like I said, this one's not going to end up making an appearance in any hophead's dreams tonight, or used as trade bait with somebody across the country. It's a simple, affordable (about 10 bucks a six pack) and in my opinion a reasonably enjoyable beer. I don't have to drive vast distances to find it, or stand in long lines, or win a lottery, or be a member of some brewery club. It's beer the way I remember it not too long ago. Beer the way I wish more beers were. These days I find that I'm gravitating away from those $20+ 4 packs and more towards beers like this. Oh sure, I'm sure on occasion I'll still purchase one of those $20+ 4 packs now and then. But I'm thankful that there's still a few beers like this one left to enjoy.

Cheers! - John