Belgian Beer Board

Non Belgian beers

Started by Jay, July 24, 2021, 06:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Hi John,

I've not been lucky enough to sample and beers from Hill Farmstead BUT I have tried Tree House, in Tina's last two packages there was a can in each (in my last pic you can see it, bottom right, orange can)

The first was a can of  Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known....7.9% Milk Stout. 

Sweet milk chocolate, vanilla, marshmallow, coffee, lactose, subtle roast....a stunning sweet stout 👏

My second was King Julius - 8.2% DIPA

Peach, apricot, citrus zest, mango, pine, dank hops, resinous, creamy fruit sorbet....a special moment indeed.

I still have one can remaining from my last package, a 10.5% Black TIPA from Crown & Hops brewery out of Los Angeles....I think this weekend it will be opened.

Cheers
Jay

John B

Hi Jay,

Lucky you! Tina sure picked out some good ones.  t_u

Interesting that you have a Crowns and Hops beer to try. They're a relatively new brewery out of Inglewood (in the southern part of Los Angeles) located just a few blocks from where I was born. They're a black owned brewery which has been getting a lot of exposure lately in various media outlets. Their beers started showing up in stores around here in the last year or so. I've tried 4 or 5 of them, a couple of IPAs, a stout, a couple of Pilsners, and thought they were good but not quite up to the level of some of the better breweries here in California. The standout one that I thought was really good though was the 8 Trill pils. Please let us know what you think of that TIPA.

https://crownsandhops.com/

Cheers! - John

Jay

Hi John

I've not tried the Crown and Hops black TIPA yet but I did have another that Tina sent me (turns out I had 2 bottles left) so I opted for the lower ABV of the two.

The Lost Abbey Libri Divini - 7% Oak Aged Farmhouse Ale with Lemon and Vanilla

Hazy copper coloured beer with a lasting inch tall white head.
Pure lemon sherbets, lemon pulp, funky farmhouse mustiness, lemon icing.....lemon meringue pie in a glass  🍋

The Crown & Hops beer will be opened soon, I'll post it here when I do.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

John B

Hi Jay,

That's a The Lost Abbey beer that I'm not familiar with, so I just looked it up on their website and they say that it's a newer release. It sure sounds delicious. They have it available for shipping here to California residents, however at $41 for what appears to be a 750 ml bottle I'll have to pass on ordering some unless I happen to win the Lottery.   F_C

Cheers! - John

John B

This past weekend I made a trip into the city of Los Angeles as well as down to Orange County. Traffic was hell, and reminded me why I don't visit those areas very often. So, while I was down there I made sure to stop by some breweries in the area and pick up some beer. Here are a few that I purchased and have sampled so far:

Weekend Escape - A collaboration between Smog City Brewing out of Los Angeles and Topa Topa Brewing in Ventura California. It's a sessionable IPA of 5% ABV. Not a bad beer, but it had a very slight earthy taste to it and was a little bit too sweet for my liking. I probably wouldn't purchase this one again.

Next up from Green Cheek Beer Company in Orange California - Yuzu For Papa. It's described as a tart and salty wheat beer made with fresh Yuzu fruit, and that's a pretty good description. It actually was very refreshing, and a beer which I have had before and would happily buy again.

Monkish Brewing - Glitter Rainbow Hop. Purchased at their lovely new beer garden in Anaheim. It's a 6.4& ABV double dry hopped hazy Pale Ale. A very smooth drinker, and has a nice balance of hops without it being overpowering. Had this one once before and would get it again.

Finally, from Highland Park Brewing in Los Angeles it's Timbo Pils, a 5.8% brew made with Mosaic and Citra hops. A wonderful beer, it's one of my favorite pilsners, perhaps only coming in second to Green Cheek's Smooth Is Fast pils. I could drink this beer every day.

Cheers! - John

Viv

Hi John,

Some nice looking and interesting brews there!

They match the weather, so long cold beers in the warm sunshine...nice!

Most countries have good local brews if you search around.

Cheers!

Viv

John B

Today I was out and about, and picked up a few different beers on my travels. One of them was this Santa Barbara Citrus blonde from Figueroa Mountain Brewing in Buellton California. At $2.29 for a 12 oz can at Trader Joe's I thought I'd give it a try. On this warm and sunny southern California afternoon it hit the spot perfectly. The can I purchased says it is a 5% abv brew, although looking online it's listed on Figueroa Mountain's website as a 4.3% abv, and on Untappd as a 5.2% abv beer. Well who cares really, right? Smooth, crisp, citrusy ... It ended up being a nice refresher, and one I'd buy again especially at that price. Cheers! - John

Trappist

Hi John,
It seems that lower alcohol fruity blond hoppy (dry-hopping too) beers (IPA) are very common in your region.
But ofcourse that sure is because the California region is hot and sunny all the time. Thirst-quench functionality.
It is nice to read that alot of efforts are done not to offer only plain lagers, but more kind of quality fruity ingredient beers. Yes, I like that  t_u
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Hi Filip,

Well yes there is a good amount of fruity blonde beers to be found, especially at this time of year. You find them more as the weather warms which it is right now. One possible misconception though that some people who don't live here might have is that the weather is always warm and sunny in southern California. It's not like that always. There's such a great difference in elevation here in this part of the state, and it makes a big difference in the weather.

For instance, it snowed at my house here in southern California as recently as a couple of weeks ago. Yes, snow! And again more snow just a couple of weeks before that. Even on the same day there can be a big difference just a matter of a few miles away. For one such instance, if you ever visit Palm Springs I suggest that you take the Aerial Tramway. As I type this it is currently 87 degrees F at the bottom when you get on the tram, and when you get to the top of the mountain it is currently 50 degrees. And that is just a mile and a half away.

However at this moment right now where I am it is beautiful and warm, and I'm wearing shorts and a lightweight short sleeved shirt and no shoes. You never know when to put your jacket away for the winter, or keep it available just in case of another cold spell.

Anyway, yes there is no shortage of thirst quenching beers to be found here. The heavy stouts and similar beers can be found, but are best enjoyed mainly only during November through February when it is cold in most places. Right now where I live it looks like it's going to be pretty warm for a while, and yes these nice crisp blonde beers are most welcome.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Hi John,
Thanks for enlightening the weather in southern California. Yes, I'm surprised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmq4WIjQxp0
That song must have confused me, already long time ago :)
Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Hi everyone,

Seeing as I've just posted about our trip to Rivington Brewery at the weekend it was obvious choice to sample one of the cans I purchased.

So here's Rivington The Quiet Earth - 8% DIPA

Now this beer was sampled on Saturday night (the day we visited the brewery) and this particular beer was launched on the Thursday before, it's just 3 days old. I don't think I've had a beer as fresh as this.

Loads of creamy mango, pineapple, coconut, spanking fresh green hops, juicy stone fruits...absolutely and completely magnificent.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

John B

Ahhh yes Jay, nothing like a brand new beer as fresh as can be. It really makes a good difference in most beers.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Hi Jay,
Double IPA's indeed need to be savored as fresh as possible, and you really got that treat!
Makes me thirsty mate  :zicon2_beer3: :zicon2_beer3: :zicon2_beer3: :zicon2_beer3:
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Quote from: Trappist on March 24, 2022, 10:01:41 AM
Double IPA's indeed need to be savored as fresh as possible, and you really got that treat!

You're so right Filip  t_u

Last weekend I indulged in another fresh DIPA and another beer from around here.
This is a brewery called Track from Manchester, they're situated across from CloudWater on Piccadilly trading estate (not very picturesque) but these two are absolute giants in UK brewing, producing some of the most sought after DIPA's and barrel aged beers.

So at just 4 days old here's a brand new  DIPA - Track / Overtone Gold Top, I'm Home...8.5% Honey & Loctose DIPA.

Thick and creamy, herbal, dank citrus, honey, touches of the tropics, juicy stone fruits...a right proper banger.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

Trappist

Hi Jay,
Thanks for sharing that local Xtreme fresh DIPA!

An additional description, found on the internet (https://www.weebeershop.co.uk/product/track-x-overtone-gold-top-im-home/)

Gold Top, I'm Home brings together Track's Gold Top base, with Overtone's vibrant Honey DIPAs as a way of adding an even greater range of flavours to the beer. This honey and lactose DIPA is loaded with Citra, NZ Cascade and Idaho 7 – so prepare for complex layers of honey drizzled mango, sweet pawpaw and freshly blooming hibiscus flower. Pomello and pink grapefruit accent the lead out of this DIPA with pleasing pops of peach and passionfruit and sticky honey roundness.

DID YOU KNOW that Cloudwater asked seven of the best breweries in the UK to get together and collaborate on four beers based on their most iconic brews. This is Track and Overtone's contribution – a mashup of Track's Gold Top DIPA series and Overtone's Honey DIPA series.

8%

440ml can

Contains lactose and honey.

Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson