Belgian Beer Board

Non Belgian beers

Started by Jay, July 24, 2021, 06:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

Today's imbibements:

Enegren Edel-Pils. A 4.8% German style pilsner. Enegren is a small brewery located about 10 minutes from where I used to live, and is known to be one of the best in the country at their lagers. This one is a fine example of a German style Pils.

Next up, from Madewest. Hazy IPA. They are a brewery out of Ventura California, and make some good beers at a very reasonable price point. One of the better bang for your buck breweries out there in my humble opinion. You can get a 4 pack of 16 ozers for $10 or less in most cases, and the quality often rivals beers twice the price.

Cheers! - John

Jay

Hi everyone

This weekend saw the annual release of one of the UKs most sought after beers, namely Putty from Cornish brewery Verdant.

This DIPA was released in cans on Wednesday and across the country (in limited bars) on Saturday.
Unbeknownst to me but Linda was online ready for the cans release and was lucky enough to bag me 6 cans because this year's Putty completely sold out in just 28 minutes.

So here it is...Putty 2023

Tropical mango, sweet juicy melon, ripe stone fruits, green herbal notes, bitter dank hoppy juice...an utterly fantastic DIPA.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

John B

Sounds like a winner Jay! Lucky you to get your hands on some thanks to Linda.

Cheers mate! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on January 20, 2023, 12:09:42 AM
Hi John,
Two delicious looking American beers!!
When I see the image of that pilsner, I'm 100% confident you had some great quality.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of pilsners, but when I see the pilsner is hazy (unfiltered) my heart beat instantly raises.
Unfiltered, unpasteurized pilsners are my thing. But unfortunately they are so hard to find over here in Belgium.
Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Quote from: Jay on January 23, 2023, 08:50:35 PMUnbeknownst to me but Linda was online ready for the cans release and was lucky enough to bag me 6 cans because this year's Putty completely sold out in just 28 minutes.

Hi Jay,
Sold out in just 28 minutes!! Wauw, that's really something exceptional.  :o

The name PUTTY always confuses me :) Why that name?
Putty: "a soft, malleable, grayish-yellow paste, made from whiting and raw linseed oil, that hardens after a few hours and is used chiefly for sealing glass panes in wooden window frames."
I sure would never drink that stuff.  :-\

I think because of the thick yellowish structure, it has been named that way.
Anyway, quite some weird name IMHO :)

BUT!! that beer looks gorgeous !!

Massive  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  to Linda! And congrats for succeeding to buy 6 of them  t_u

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Cheers guys, Linda sure amazed me by bagging a handful of those much sought after Putty's, and with regards to its name Filip I had a look on the Verdant website

https://verdantbrewing.co/blogs/news/putty-returns-for-2021

Cheers
Jay  t_u

Trappist

Quote from: Jay on January 25, 2023, 12:25:21 AMhttps://verdantbrewing.co/blogs/news/putty-returns-for-2021
Thanks for sorting that out Jay  t_u

"Finally, for those curious about the name... James can help there too:

"The name 'Putty' literally cropped up at one of those "what shall we call this beer?" meetings...and it just seemed like a perfect fit for the fluffiest, smoothest, hoppiest beer we'd ever made.
It still is a unique drop in the beer world IMO... UP THE PUTT!!!The only difference with this year's Putty is that we've made much more of it! It's the same old PUTT PUTT.""

Call me stupid, but I don't understand any single word of it  :chin:  :ohno-1:

Do I understand it comes from the word PUTT?

Google search result:

Definitions of putt:

verb:
Try to hit a golf ball into the hole by striking it gently so that it rolls across the green.

noun:
A gentle stroke that hits a golf ball across the green towards the hole.

So, it's actually coming from that golf term?
Then it would suggest this beer is a direct hit into the hole...... which it sure IS :)

Cheers,
Confused Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi Filip,

I have looked on the website, and frankly I am none the wiser than you are
with understanding the name.

I can only think that they imagine the beer has the same consistency as
soft putty...... which seems far fetched. I don't think that it has anything
to do with golf and putting.

They must have had a few beers themselves and in the moment it seemed a good
idea to them; but won't to anyone else.

Anyway, it's certainly not a style of beer I would seek out.

Cheers!

Viv 

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on January 26, 2023, 08:41:22 AMThey must have had a few beers themselves and in the moment it seemed a good
idea to them; but won't to anyone else.
Or maybe, they had too much beers :)
Nevertheless, the name is an eye-catcher!
A short and strong name, easy to remember. Quite a clever move  :appauding-1:
Cheers and thanks for enlighting things Viv  t_u
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Yesterday I took a drive down to Orange County here in southern California to stop by a few breweries and pick up some cans to go. I ended up hitting four breweries, two of which I'd been to before and have liked their beers (Radiant and Green Cheek), and two which I'd never been to before nor had any of their beers, but have heard good things about them.

One of those new to me places is a very small nanobrewery and tasting room (the whole place combined, brewery and tasting room, look to be about the size of a typical house) run by one very nice young fellow all by himself. The tasting room is only open two days a week, on Fridays from 4 pm to 10 pm and Saturdays from 3 pm to 10 pm. This brewery is located on Raymond Ave in Anaheim, not far from Disneyland, and is called Raymond Avenue Brewing.

Like I said, I'd heard good things about them, so I decided to stop by and pick up some cans. They had 8 or 10 different beers on offer, so I decided to pick up a mixed 4 pack to try out a few of them. I got the Hefeweizen, the Pale Ale, the Raymond Ave IPA and this one here, the 5.5% Skoobie Snax Cream Ale, all of which he cans for you on the spot.

It's hard for me to compare this cream ale against others, mainly because it's been quite a while since I've had a cream ale as they are not a style which is easy to find these days around here. So I'll keep it simple and say this: I found it very nice. Smooth and not over carbonated, a real easy beer to drink. I'd certainly have one of these again. So, for my first taste of a beer from this little nanobrewery it gives me hope that the other 3 beers of theirs that I picked up will be good as well. I'll let you know when I give them a try.

P.S. - It's always nice to support the little guy, especially these days.

Cheers! - John

John B

Next up, this one from Radiant Beer Co, Experimental Energy. It's a 5.8% hazy pale ale. I've tried quite a few beers from Radiant and, if memory serves me well, they've all been good to excellent. This one however, just isn't hitting the spot. It's not that it's a "bad" beer by any means, it's just not giving off flavors that I enjoy. And what flavor there is just comes off tasting kind of muted, a bit lifeless. Well, can't win 'em all. Cheers anyway! - John

John B

The second of the "new to me" breweries that I picked up yesterday in Orange county, Everywhere Beer Co. Not just new to me though, Everywhere has only been open since August of 2022, but is already getting good reviews. I purchased two different 4 packs, and this 4.8% German Helles Lager named Beautiful Something is one of them. This is a very crisp and refreshing beer, brewed with Weyermann extra pale pilsner malt and hopped with Hallertau Mittelfrüh. An excellent representation of the style. Cheers! - John

Viv

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing some more wonderful American brews, and the background
story to each one which definitely adds something.

I also like the interesting backgrounds where you have pitched your beer
for the photograph.

And the Raymond Avenue canned in front of you; you can't get any fresher
than that!

All 3 seem to have a fairly low carbonation level, but this image maybe
because taking the picture was not immediate after the pour.

Anyway, keep them coming!!!

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Ho John,
Thanks for sharing  t_u
That hazy cream ale looks so smooth to me. Not really that creamy head, but the texture looks so velvety. Not that carbonated too I see.
I can belive it went down velvety smooth, hence the name of that style being a cream ale. I sure would love to try it.
Also, because that one is made in a tiny one man nano-brewery  t_u makes it that more appreciated  :zicon2_beer3:
The one you didn't like that much carries the word experimental, so I suppose there is still much more experiments to go to fit your taste buds John.
it's always nice to see that in the US there is place for foreign beer styles. Belgian style for instance, but also your excellent example of a German Helles lager.
They make them affordable, which is a nice surplus  :appauding-1:
Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Another one from the little nanobrewery Raymond Avenue Brewing Company, located in Anaheim California. This is a 4.6% pale ale simply titled ... Pale Ale. Well, it seems more thought was put into the actual brewing of this beer than naming it. That's a good thing. The young man who brews the beer describes it as his tribute to Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, and I think it's a pretty close rendition. It hits all the right flavor notes such as a light caramel edge, although maybe not quite as much of the pine character, and has a very similar mouthfeel to SN's Pale Ale, but perhaps ever so slightly thinner. Overall I'd drink this one again. Cheers! - John