Belgian Beer Board

St Bernardus Christmas Ale

Started by John B, November 17, 2022, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

'Tis the season for the Christmas/Holiday beers. Here's an old favorite, but in a new (for me) package. St Bernardus Christmas Ale in a can. I was a bit skeptical trying this one from this format. It surely felt a little strange pouring this beer from a can. For some reason in my mind pouring IPAs, Lagers and similar beers from a can seems natural. However darker, stronger beers such as this one just doesn't seem right coming out of an aluminum cylinder. Well, here goes anyway ...

Hmmm, it smells as nice as usual, and look at that head. No problems with the appearance or aroma. Now for the most important aspect of any beer, the taste ... well what do you know, it tastes as good as I remember it from the bottle. A nice full mouthfeel too. I'll be darned, I may just have to pick up another 4 pack of this soon.

Cheers! - John 

Viv

Hi John,

Christmas gets earlier and earlier!

After 2 Christmases of lockdowns it will be a relief to have a
normal one, although with what's going on now the festivities
won't be as full on they have been in the past. Still, one beer
at a time.

I had to look a second time at the picture, and it does look
rather strange to see that smiling Monks's face on a tin can!

But the main thing is the taste, and I am glad that it tastes
just like the bottles do.

Better go get yourself another 4 pack before Christmas Day!

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Hi,
Such a strange picture when observing this beer being presented into a can  t_u
I have a Sint-Bernardus Christmas beer at home and will try it asap.
I always found the similarities with their Grottenbier dark highly remarkable !!!
It's quite a bitter and dry beer with I think a dose of juniper berries  :Manger:
Pierre Celis still rocks  :tenor:
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

One more thing to add, the difference in price between bottled and canned versions is striking, at least at the place I do a good portion of my beer shopping. 4 packs of the cans which are 11.2 oz each, are $16.99, while 2 packs of the bottled version, also 11.2 oz each, are $23.99. Really hard to justify spending the extra money on the bottles.

Out of curiosity though, I might just go back and get a single bottle (thankfully they sell singles at that store) and a single can and do a side by side tasting, just to make sure my initial impression of the canned version was correct and that it's just as good as the bottled version. Stay tuned for further developments.   :inspector:

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on November 18, 2022, 09:46:35 PMwhile 2 packs of the bottled version, also 11.2 oz each, are $23.99.
Hi John,
That's indeed alot of money. $12.00 for one 33cl bottle  :eyes:
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the cans instead.
Most probably they will have the same flavor, and I think the canned version could be that bit better, just because bottles don't travel that perfect.
Very curious about the side-by-side tasting  :chin:
Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Quote from: Trappist on November 21, 2022, 01:48:56 PM
Quote from: John B on November 18, 2022, 09:46:35 PMwhile 2 packs of the bottled version, also 11.2 oz each, are $23.99.
Hi John,
Most probably they will have the same flavor, and I think the canned version could be that bit better, just because bottles don't travel that perfect.
Cheers,
Filip

Oh my goodness, that was a typo! It was supposed to say 4 packs of the bottles are $23.99, not 2 packs. Still more expensive than the cans, but not by that much.

Yes you're right Filip, I think the distance these Belgian beers have to travel to reach our shores that cans would be a better option in most cases.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on November 21, 2022, 06:19:26 PM
Quote from: Trappist on November 21, 2022, 01:48:56 PM
Hi John,
Cheers,
Filip

Oh my goodness, that was a typo! It was supposed to say 4 packs of the bottles are $23.99, not 2 packs. Still more expensive than the cans, but not by that much.

Yes you're right Filip, I think the distance these Belgian beers have to travel to reach our shores that cans would be a better option in most cases.

Cheers! - John

Hi John,
Ofcourse, that had to be a typo. I was already wondering that in the US, there is the availability of 2-packs  :zdrunk:
Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson