Belgian Beer Board

Famous trappist beer shuts down production, leaving just 10 worldwide

Started by Trappist, May 23, 2022, 05:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Quote from: Trappist on May 23, 2022, 05:12:37 PMhttps://www.brusselstimes.com/business/225016/famous-trappist-beer-shutters-leaving-just-10-left-worldwide

Not such a good news I'm afraid...
Cheers,
Filip

Yes, it's a shame but I'm not surprised. They just didn't sell well, at least at all the beer stores that I visited. Seemed like their bottles sat on the shelves forever. I tried a couple of their beers and was not that impressed. They were ok, nothing more than that. And when you can buy better beers from Rochefort, Chimay, Westmalle and others for about the same price then why buy the inferior ones from Spencer?

Hopefully this news won't discourage any other Trappist beers from ever being made here in the USA, although I think it will. Thankfully though, we still get the great Belgian beers sent over this way to enjoy. If that ever stops then I know it's time for me to move to Belgium.   B_FLAG

Cheers! - John 

Viv

Hi guys,

What a shame!

I tasted 5 of their brews and thought that both the
Spencer Monks' Reserve and the Spencer Holiday brews
were excellent.

The Spencer Imperial Stout and Spencer IPA were pretty
good too.

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Hi,
Here in Belgium, they offered a couple of the Spencer trappist beers at the bigger supermarkets, but they were always that bit more expensive than the Belgian ones.
The beers were OK, but not really that special, or unique, which you can't say about let's say Rochefort 10, Westmalle triple, Westvleteren12, Orval, to name some.
I think they should better have focused on a couple of Spencer beers only, and make them unique, hardly copy-able.... and amazingly tasty  :beer:
Less = More.
Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson