Belgian Beer Board

My Easter Beer

Started by John B, April 17, 2022, 10:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

This afternoon I stopped by a local gas station, one of the only places in my area who actually attempt to stock good beers. I'd (surprisingly) seen this green label Chimay Cent Cinquante, a 10% abv blonde there on my previous couple of visits. It's the only time I've seen this particular beer anywhere near where I live, but passed it by with the assumption that it would be prohibitively expensive, as this place doesn't list prices on their shelves for the beers, a practice which I don't like.

On my travels to other beer stores outside of my area the usual prices seemed to vary between $28 and $32 for a 4 pack of this beer, so I expected it to be about the same or more here in my neck of the woods. However today out of curiosity I asked the price and was shocked to find out they were asking $15.99 for the 4 pack. Well, yes please, I'll take a 4 pack at that price thank you! So I happily made the purchase, and opened one up this Easter afternoon. Also grabbed a can (my first time from a can) of Delirium Tremens which I hope to open up later today. Hope you're enjoying your weekend with some good beer my friends!

Cheers! - John

Viv

Hi John,

Great to see you sourcing more Belgian beers! You seem to be finding them
fairly regularly now and at prices that aren't too bad either.

More are out there but you've just got to keep looking.......................!

I've never had a can of Delirium Tremens so I look forward to hearing your
comments on the taste and whether it's that different from the bottle.

Cheers!

Viv

John B

Hi Viv,

Belgian beers are still a "once in a while" treat for me due to the cost. I bought the can of Delirium Tremens as something special to enjoy after Easter dinner, but then found out the price of that Chimay and just had to buy that too.

As for the Tremens, I drank it last evening and enjoyed it. It's hard for me to compare it to the bottled version because it's been probably 5 years or more since the last time I've had that beer. Going from the best of my recollection I'd say it tasted pretty much as I remembered Tremens. Easy drinking, the alcohol well hidden, and the taste being slightly on the sweeter side.

Trappist

Quote from: John B on April 17, 2022, 10:56:22 PMI asked the price and was shocked to find out they were asking $15.99 for the 4 pack.

Hi John,
Nice you've had some great catches there at the gas station.
And indeed the price for the Chimay green is amazing ! That's about €3.70 for one bottle. A really great price for such a great Belgian trappist beer
t_u
I never had a Delirium Tremens from half litre can, but I bet it is the same beer as the one we get over here in the painted bottles.
All together two magnificent beers you had t_u
Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

It's great to see you posting Belgian beers John (and American ones too mate) I don't think I've had the Green label but I'll be sure to pick up a bottle when I see one.

I had a few beers over the Easter weekend...something Belgian, something Danish and one from the UK.

The Belgian was my last bottle of Trappist Achel Blonde (before they lost the logo) and it was just as you would expect - Belgian yeast, floral, citrus, pears, clove spicing and a hint of bubblegum.

The Danish was a Ebeltoft / Mikkeller colab beer Echte Liebe - 5.8% Lager

Malty, hay, dry straw, hops, grassy, citrus, pilsner crispness....for a Lager it's fantastic, one of the best...we were given bottles given free at last years MBCC.

My last was a special box set bought for me by Linda, it was from Northern Monk and was their annual limited Heaven Chocolate Box. A set of 4 chocolate beers of various ABV and flavours with 2 being barrel aged...being the weekend and celebrating my new job I went big.

Northern Monk Bourbon Hazelnut Caramel Imperial Stout - 12% Hazelnut Caramel Chocolate Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels.

Chocolate, hazelnut nuttiness, sweet sticky caramel, Bourbon warmth, fudge....totally indulgent.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

John B

Wow Jay, those are some impressive looking beers! A great way to celebrate your new job.   t_u

Cheers mate! - John

Trappist

Hi Jay,
What a way to celebrate your new job  t_u
That box looks so beautiful. Two 12 percenters included  :Manger:  :Manger:
By coïncidence I had an Achel blond too last Sunday at 't Brugs Beertje.
That was with the new non ATP logo.
This beer is such a delicious beer. Actually reminds me of Moinette blonde, and that really is a big compliment.
Thanks for sharing  :cheers:
Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Jay,
I see that you posted much bigger pictures this time.
I really LOVE that. Gives much more details.
Note that before the upgrade, pictures from that size were not visible when consulting the forum with a smartphone.
One needed to scroll from left to right to see the picture, simply because there was no automatic resizing to fit the page.
With the new SMF-forum version 2.1.1, this has been dealed with. The pictures are nicely resized to fit the small smartphone screen.
A really nice improvement
 :beer:
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Quote from: Trappist on April 20, 2022, 10:02:03 AMJay,
I see that you posted much bigger pictures this time.
I really LOVE that. Gives much more details.
Note that before the upgrade, pictures from that size were not visible when consulting the forum with a smartphone.
One needed to scroll from left to right to see the picture, simply because there was no automatic resizing to fit the page.
With the new SMF-forum version 2.1.1, this has been dealed with. The pictures are nicely resized to fit the small smartphone screen.
A really nice improvement
 :beer:
Filip

Hi Filip,

Yes the pictures do look better sized since the upgrade, before I used to post them as a HTML pic from the picture sharing site I use (imgbb) but now I post them as a BBCODE  so maybe that accounts for the improvement?

Also almost all my replies and pics are posted from either my iPhone or iPad, it's rare that I use my laptop these days (it's good for photo backup) it's so easy to send the pics wirelessly from my camera to either and post away using the photo app, the days of taking out the memory card for every pic shared are long gone.

Here's a pic I've just taken, today is the start of Belgian and Dutch week at Lidl here in the UK. So after dropping Linda off at work I nipped to our nearest store and stocked up 👍🏻

Cheers
Jay

Trappist

Yes Jay, that really looks top-notch.
Actually, there is no concern anymore about resizing.
Your original picture is much bigger than what's been seen inside the article.
With the BBCODE, pictures are nicely resized to fit the page. What a great improvement.
When consulting the BBB, I always use my homecomputer ( a normal PC ), simply because I like BIG pictures.
It is a relief that the BBB maine page and the forum are now so Smartphone friendly too. Upgrading really has such a major advantages  t_u
By the way Jay, that's some great initiative there from LIDL. That Belgian/Dutch week offers some great beers, cheeses (very familiar to me  ;) ), etc..
Although I must confess that I prefer my Belgian fries hand cut with fresh potatoes (bintjes). The real thing !!! Ofcourse twice deep fried in ox fat, i.e. 150°C and 180°C.
Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson