Belgian Beer Board

Rochefort Triple Extra

Started by John B, March 23, 2022, 03:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

Hi everyone,

Here's a beer which I know has been posted about in the past. I believe Filip was the first to try it and mention it here on the Belgian Beer Board, but it appears that was on the "old" board and is no longer available on this board. If I somehow missed it and it is available here on the new board to post, please feel free to move this to the older thread.

Anyway, after waiting patiently for over a year the Rochefort Triple Extra has finally made it's way to our shores here in the US. As well all know Rochefort beers are quality. One of my favorites. And triples (tripels) are also one of my favorite styles. So I looked upon trying this new (to me) Rochefort Triple Extra with great expectations. I wasn't disappointed. It is easily right there among my favorites of the style. A real masterpiece of brewing. Hard to believe this is their first new beer since 1955. It's right up there with the best tripels (triples). My single disappointment is that I only purchased three bottles. It's a long drive, but I need to go back and get more. What a great beer this is.

P.S. Sorry for the "incorrect" glass. I once had a Rochefort glass but it has disappeared. So the only other Trappist glasses I have are this Westvleteren glass and a couple of Chimay glasses. So I went with this one.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Hi John,
So good you can buy it locally !!!
And....what a great picture you've posted here !!! Such a rustic feeling. LOVE it !!
MY posting indeed was done on the old board, but I saved everything. With a bit of luck, I found my original message  t_u
Oh, btw..... the BBB has "no" beer police  C:-)  ---- as long as you don't use a Coca-Cola glass  8)

Here is the archived article:

Hi folks,
Time to savor the new Trappist beer Rochefort Triple Extra !
I bought me a couple of bottles at Drankencentrale Rotsaert yesterday.
Purchase price is €1.80 per bottle. A full crate goes at €41.00. (but I bought me a crate of Stille Nacht instead !) tough decisions  :)
This beer is said to be brewed at a new brewery !
Source https://www.matele.be/les-trappistes-de-rochefort-sortent-une-nouvelle-biere-une-blonde-la-triple-extra
quotes:
"En plus, nous avons une nouvelle brasserie qui nous permets de sortir un nouveau produit."
"L'abbaye veut continuer à la maîtriser, avec la toute nouvelle brasserie qui dispose d'une technologie très moderne."
I still do not know if that new brewery is an extra addition to the old one, or simply a replacement !! I sure want to know more from that.

This strong 8.1 vol% beer pours yellow/orange hazy..... great creamy head !!
Nosing gives a peachy fruity sensation, and a very "wort" aroma too. It is a very perfumy beer.
Tasting gives a slight citric flavor, but not coming from any hops. Orange peel is the source..... and it actually gives a slight IPA resemblance.
But that is not noticed in the nose. It is NOT that new IPA.
I also taste coreander spiciness, very subtle.
Quite a sweet beer, that hides the big load of earthy hops. The hop bitterness lingers for quite some time too.
A nice mouthfeeling with a dense beer and a velvet softness.
Tasting immediatly gave me that Rochefort stamp ! Yes, it's their precious yeast !!! Includes a nice bottle refermentation with a rich yeast layer on the bottom.
Wow folks, what a great beer this is. It's not really a triple like Westmalle or Affligem. Therefore it is too fruity, too hazy, lacking crispiness.

When the beer was finished, I nosed into the empty glass, and what a rich 'wort' aroma was there !!! amazing ! A true sign of artisanal quality !!

I give it a   t_u t_u t_u t_u t_u  :appauding-1:
WELL succeeded ! I go for more !!

Cheers,
Filip

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi John,

Great to see you enjoying a Belgian brew!

You've beaten me to it on this one as although I have a few bottles in stock I
haven't managed to get round to tasting this brew yet.................... I will just have
to be patient!

Cheers!

Viv

Viv

ROCHEFORT TRIPLE EXTRA  t_u  t_u  t_u  t_u  t_u

From St.Remy Trappist Triple, with an ABV of 8.1%. New brew for me.

Pours a slightly cloudy golden blonde, with a huge creamy frothy head. Excellent lacing.

Aroma of fruits especially banana, hops, and spices.

Full bodied, and well carbonated with a lovely soft and filling mouthfeel. Complex, layered, balanced and excellent depth of flavour. Lots of malts, hops, spices, citric fruits, grains, florals, cloves, banana, with a long dry and slightly bitter finish. The way the flavours blend and counterplay along with virtually a new flavour with each and every sip produces quite simply an outstanding brew! 

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Hi Viv,
That's a well deserved 5 thumbs up!
I found some interesting article on the WWW
https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2022/3/2/trappists-rochefort-have-a-new-beerand-brewery
I already mentioned this over here......there is that brand NEW brewery!
It's quite a mystery to me, because you won't find any details or pictures??

Quote from article:
"Over the course of three years between 2017 and Valentine's Day 2020, Rochefort planned and built a new, larger brewhouse. Longtime abbey head Father Abbot and the monastery manager wanted to implement the project before they retired, so the time was right. Beyond the age of the brewhouse, Rochefort is also maxed-out on capacity. A new brewery would position the monks for the future and allow them to brew more beer—so it made sense to add a new offering to the line. Monks have time to be deliberate about changes like this, and at Rochefort they kept both breweries online at the same time while Santos transitioned production, making sure the taste of the beer didn't change with the new equipment."

It actually seems that the beautiful 'old' brewery won't be used anymore in the near future?

The old brewery

This really needs much more research and confirmations, incl. pictures ofcourse....

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

..." and at Rochefort they kept both breweries online at the same time while Santos transitioned production, making sure the taste of the beer didn't change with the new equipment."

That's the important part, and I hope they keep making them the same way and their beers taste exactly as they do for many years to come.   :stir:

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on June 28, 2022, 02:22:18 AMThat's the important part, and I hope they keep making them the same way and their beers taste exactly as they do for many years to come.   :stir:
Which I think is quite a piece of a titan job John.
Not sure if the new brewery is made of copper as that was the case with the beautiful old equipment.
Using a completely new and different brewery can easily alter the final product.
Seems quite a tough job to achieve the exact same flavor profile, and ofcourse the look of the beer, foam, etc...
Let's hope they succeed  F_C
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson