Belgian Beer Board

De Struise Dark Horse Reserva

Started by John B, January 28, 2022, 08:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

Here's one from De Struise Brouwers, called Dark Horse Reserva. There's a fantastic liquor/beer store about an hour from me, so anytime I'm in that area I make a point to stop by. I picked up a few beers yesterday and this is one of them, a beer from this excellent Belgian brewer that I hadn't had before. Not a bad deal on this one either, as the nice fellow who runs the store let me have it for $14. I've seen it selling for as much as $55, although it usually sells for about half of that. Described on the bottle as a hybrid dark sour ale and coming in at an abv of 7%, it's aged in French wine barrels from Bordeaux for 4 years. This particular bottle was a 2014 vintage.

The bottle opened up and that typical wild ale fruity and sour aroma came rushing out. It poured a cola color, without maintaining much of a head for very long, as to be expected from this type of beer. I'd describe the taste as being moderately tart rather than strongly sour. You do get a good representation from the wine barrel aging coming in play, along with some dark cherries and a light hint of vinegar. As the beer warmed I picked up some plum notes.

All in all, a nice beer to sip and savor.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on January 28, 2022, 08:30:24 PM
the nice fellow who runs the store let me have it for $14
John,
That's only €12,56 ----- a true bargain for such a Belgian Struise quality beer, knowing you bought it in the USA !!
For example: €19.95 at Drankengigant - https://www.drankgigant.nl/struisse-dark-horse-reserva.html

:tenor: :tenor: :tenor: :tenor: :tenor:

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

That's a great price for a special Struise barrel aged beer and whilst sour ales (Duchesse and Rodenbach) aren't really my thing (you know I'd opt for a barrel aged Impy Stout or Pannapot) I can appreciate the craftsmanship in producing such a beer.

Cheers
Jay 👍🏻

John B

Quote from: Jay on February 01, 2022, 08:47:18 PM
That's a great price for a special Struise barrel aged beer and whilst sour ales (Duchesse and Rodenbach) aren't really my thing (you know I'd opt for a barrel aged Impy Stout or Pannapot) I can appreciate the craftsmanship in producing such a beer.

Cheers
Jay 👍🏻

Hi Jay,

Duchesse and Rodenbach used to be a couple in that style that I liked way back when. However as time went by I found myself not really enjoying them much, and in fact the last time I had a Duchesse I could barely even finish it. Years have gone by since my last bottle of either Duchesse or Rodenbach, but when I was drinking this Dark Horse it made me wonder if I should give those beers another try. Either my taste has come back around to where I might like them again, or perhaps this Struise was just different enough from those two and that's why I liked it.

Cheers! - John