Belgian Beer Board

Bokrijks

Started by Viv, December 20, 2021, 11:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viv

BOKRIJKS   t_u t_u t_u

Blonde Ale from Sterkens, brewed at du Bocq, with an ABV of 7.2%. Last
tasted in 2005.

Pours a golden blonde with a rocky foamy creamy head. Good lacing.

Sweet hoppy fruity malty aroma.

It's thin to medium bodied, and nicely carbonated with a nice soft
mouthfeel. It's well balanced, complex, and with good depth of flavour, and
smooth and creamy in texture and taste; and easy drinking. There's plenty
of malts, demarara, honey, caramel, toffee, grains, hops, raisins, sultanas,
fruits and spices. Sweetish, and with a dry finish. The more I taste of it
the more I like it...... Nice brew! 

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on December 20, 2021, 11:07:53 AM
The more I taste of it the more I like it......
..... which actually is a great sign of quality!
Needed to look for demarara though, which actually could be sugar, syrup or even a liquor.
Google search result: "Demerara sugar is a raw sugar extracted from sugarcane. It is minimally processed, so it has a golden-brown color and large grains that give it a crunchy texture. Demerara sugar originated from the British colony of Demerara, now called Guyana."

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

I don't mean to send this thread off topic Viv, but every time I see a bottle like that it makes me wonder how long can a brewery sustain putting their beer into something like that? That's got to cost them a lot more money than just putting it in a "normal" type of bottle. Do breweries that use bottles like that pass the cost on to the consumer? If so, how long will consumers be willing to spend extra money for a fancy bottle when they can get a similar beer for less money in a "normal" bottle?

Don't get me wrong, they are nice and you can even reuse them for other things, but still I have to wonder with so many businesses trying to cut costs these days will we see this type of bottle around much longer?   :chin:

Cheers! - John

Viv

Hi John,

I don't think that there are many companies selling beer in these containers
and I am sure that they do get re-cycled, like glass bottles do, anyway.

I suppose every beer maker must try to find ( or in Sterkens case retain ) a
USP  (unique selling point) in what is getting an extremely crowded market!

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on December 21, 2021, 10:09:42 AM
I don't think that there are many companies selling beer in these containers
and I am sure that they do get re-cycled, like glass bottles do, anyway.
Hi Viv,
This is indeed one of Sterkens strongest points, i.e. there stone pots !
The bottle you had costs about €10.00 over here. Not that cheap, but the price of that stone bottle is included. Should be around 2 to 3 euro something.
So, yes indeed, the customers pays for that bottle. In Belgium, there is no refund for such a bottles though. Re-cycling? I don't know really.
But you don't see the Sterkens jugs in Belgium, except for the specialty beer shops/warehouses and here in Bruges at the touristic beer shops. Nearly unexistable at beer bars, even the specialty beer pubs.
Export is the thing! And bottles like that look fancy and eye catching.
Cheers and Merry Xmas Viv  t_u
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson