Belgian Beer Board

Vleteren 12

Started by Trappist, December 15, 2021, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

Hi,

Two barrel aged beauties from brewery Deca at Woesten.
12 vol% strong, matured on oak barrels. Whisky (green) and port (blue) infused  :find:
The dark having difficulties with the foam, but that's because this beer has less CO2 gas saturation. Actually, it is quite a flat beer.

Vleteren 12 Blond is a blond beer that has matured for 1 year in oak barrels. During the aging process in the barrels, a small amount of whiskey was added to the beer.
This beer has a sweet taste with nice notes of honey, vanilla and oak.

Vleteren 8 Bruin is a brown beer that has matured for 1 year in oak barrels. During the aging process in the barrels, a small amount of port was added to the beer.
The spicy aroma of the biscuits gives way to a fruity aroma from the port and oak. The full malty taste is complemented by subtle notes of oak and red fruit.

Both beers have become essential to my likes !! HIGHLY recommended  :appauding-1: t_u

Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Until reading your report Filip I never would have known that the green is a blonde. Would have just assumed it was a dark beer like the blue. It doesn't specify on the front of the bottle. Does it mention on the back label that it's a blonde, or does the beer buyer just have to find out when he purchases and opens the bottle for the first time?

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on December 16, 2021, 05:45:59 PM
Until reading your report Filip I never would have known that the green is a blonde. Would have just assumed it was a dark beer like the blue. It doesn't specify on the front of the bottle. Does it mention on the back label that it's a blonde, or does the beer buyer just have to find out when he purchases and opens the bottle for the first time?

Cheers! - John

Hi John,

Now that you say, there is indeed NO mentiong on the front label. There is no back label.
Actually, the green is not that blond, and is more kind of amber colored, due to the barrel ageing and whisky infusion.
But, we are facing abbey rules, and traditionally there are the green and blue colors, similar to Westvleteren, Sint-Bernardus. (Chimay too !)

This means: Blue for the dark beers, and green for the blond beers.

Actually, observing Rochefort, gives the strongest dark also blue.

But there are also the red colored abbey beers  :eyes:
When you see the red colors, those are the weaker dark beers. Rochefort 6, deceased Westvleteren 6, Chimay red, Sint-Bernardus prior, name it.....
Same with Witkap: http://www.witkap.be/witkap/Het_gamma/Het_gamma.html
Call it an abbey approved color code  O:-)

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

You're right Filip, there does seem to be a color theme among the brewers in regards to the labels and the corresponding beers. I'll keep that in mind when shopping. Thanks for the explanation!

Cheers! - John