Belgian Beer Board

La Trappe / BrewDog Practise What You Preach

Started by Jay, November 22, 2021, 10:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Hi everyone,

There's a new La Trappe beer out, a beer brewed in collaboration with Scottish giants BrewDog, it's brewed at La Trappe and is based on their Quadruple only this time using American hops and Scottish heather honey.

Commercial description...

Ale with Scottish Heather Honey and American hops. A ruby-hued ale with Scottish heather honey that boasts aromas of rich dried fruits. Hints of citrus fruits run subtly throughout, cutting through the sticky mouthfeel to balance out the sweetness.
Brewed at La Trappe Trappist monastery in collaboration with BrewDog in the fall of 2020. This is an exploration of past and present that was developed over an early morning tasting at BrewDog's headquarters in Ellon. The name originates from the desire of both breweries to leave the world better than they found it. Therefore the monastery will make a charitable contribution in their area in honor of this collaboration.

Our youngest daughter was in Manchester today so she popped into BrewDog and picked me up a couple of bottles, I'll open one this weekend and post it here.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

John B

Can't say that this is one that would appeal to me from the description, but that's an interesting collaboration from two very different breweries.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Great news Jay!

Heather honey ? That asks for some research.

Taken from https://www.scottishgourmetusa.com/product/1444

Heather Honey - A Sweet Story

Scottish heather honey is one of the finest honeys in the world.
The peculiar combination of conditions that make the honey possible are uniquely Scottish, which is fitting, since heather is an iconic flower symbolic of Scotland's rugged beauty .
There are moors of open uncultivated land where heather grows wild in the highlands of Scotland. These are kept that way in part to foster the environment for grouse hunting.
The grouse need young, tender heather for food. The heather is carefully managed, with controlled burning of strips of the outer edges of the patch to spur new growth.
Bees also appreciate the heather, and the insects fly among the plants, giving the peculiar flavor of the flower to the honey made by those bees.
Heather honey is strong and thick, with a caramel color. The creation of the honey depends on the perfect timing of the arrival of the bees (which are brought to the moors each year) and the flowering of the heather, usually in August.
When the honeycombs are filled with rich nectar, the beekeepers carefully "spin" the frames to recover the honey, being sure to leave plenty in the hive to fuel the colony for the winter. Struan Heather Honey is pure, raw heather honey. It's not heated or blended. Hamish Robertson, who founded Struan Apiaries in 1974 with his wife Joan, has perfected the process over many years.
Scotland's heather honey is the product of a unique combination of factors: the land, flora, fauna, and the weather all working together to create a rare delicacy.
The painstaking work of the dedicated beekeepers makes it all possible. The flavor and aroma of heather honey is complex, rich and beguiling.
The honey is subtly earthy and intensely fragrant, with hints of flower, mint, caramel and even the faintest suggestion of smoke at times.
It's worth all of the effort that goes in to getting the honey. Stir a spoonful into your oatmeal or spread some on a piece of warm toast. These are simple but deeply satisfying pleasures.

This beer sure will be as good or even better than the basis beer, i.e. La Trappe Quadrupel.
Enriched with citric American hops, and all the goodness that's been described here above.
If I see it on sale, I sure will buy and try it. Looks damn promising to me  t_u

Highly looking forward to your tasting notes Jay F_C

Cheers,
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

I also have a bottle of the regular La Trappe Quad in my cupboard, so  I think a side by side is in order  t_u

The spare bottle has your name on it Filip, should you not be able to pick one up  ;)

Cheers
Jay

Trappist

Quote from: Jay on November 24, 2021, 02:11:47 AM
The spare bottle has your name on it Filip, should you not be able to pick one up  ;)
Much too kind of you Jay  t_u
I probably will have found it somewhere  :find: You'll find out over here :)
CHEERS and thanks mate
Filip
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Hi,
There's much more news from La Trappe.
Although not a Belgian beer, but an exception to the rule is always welcome, especially if it concerns Dutch trappist beer La Trappe  t_u

First, there is also a whiskey barrel aged Practise what you Preach at 11 vol%! For sale at €35.00 at Dranken Rotsaert here in Zedelgem.
https://www.beeronweb.com/practise-what-you-preach-oakaged-nl

And....

A wine barrel aged version with the name Château de L'Horte. 10 vol%
That's also a limited edition, collaborated with the French (Dutch owned) winehouse Château de L'Horte.
Actually, this is the Quadrupel that has been inserted into the wine barrels.
Part of the revenues goes to the food banks in the Netherlands and France, which is a great idea!  t_u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2JRD5IESSY

More details about this wonderful initiative are published on YouTube

Apparently only available at Dutch supermarket chain PLUS from  01-dec-2021 till 26-dec-2021 --- for the fast people
It sells at €24.99

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Thanks for that info Filip, I never knew of these barrel aged releases. I'll keep an eye out next time we visit BrewDog Manchester.

Cheers
Jay  t_u