Belgian Beer Board

Non Belgian beers

Started by Jay, July 24, 2021, 06:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

Quote from: Trappist on February 03, 2023, 10:46:31 AM
Quote from: John B on February 02, 2023, 11:53:11 PMHere's one from Cigar City Brewing from Tampa Florida. It's called Jai Alai, a 7.5% IPA named after the high speed action sport. This beer has been around for quite a while, and is considered by many a classic. I've had this beer a few times over the years, and while I've found it to be good, it might not even crack my top 50 of IPAs that I've ever had.

Anyway, it's a clear golden colored beer, with a good creamy head and low carbonation. The hops are not as up front as they are in a lot of IPAs, especially the newer ones, but they're there. Overall it was nice to have this one again after quite a while, but it might be quite a while before I have it again. Cheers! - John

Hi John,
A very interesting beer that gives me back some great memories.
I tasted that beer when it was a pilot brew, before it was even commercially available.
This was done when we did the Florida Beer Trail way back in July 2008.
Katrien and I visited brewery Cigar City just before they actually started their business.
We got a tour by brewmaster Wayne Wambles himself. Only Wayne, Katrien and myself! Amazing.

Here's the picture of the pilot brew Jai Alai:
https://www.belgianbeerboard.com/florida08/slides/227-2709_IMG.html

I can remember that this beer (IPA) was greatly citric hoppy, like a true American IPA should taste.

Full report of the visit starts at: https://www.belgianbeerboard.com/florida08/slides/226-2691_IMG.html (just before we entered the brewery)
Note that there was no brewery (kettles, name it) installed yet.
All pilot brews were brewed by Wayne inside the same place, and this with a small brewing equipment.

Cigar City has become one of America's top-class breweries!  :appauding-1:
Simply astounding!!

Cheers,
Filip

Hi Filip,

After I purchased this beer yesterday I was reminded of your Florida trip, and was actually looking at your beery Florida photos here on the Belgian Beer Board while drinking the Jai Alai. I simply love the way you've captured your visits in pictures and in words. Your descriptions help let us know what you were seeing and experiencing at that moment in time. Yes, even though your trip was many years ago it is still giving pleasure to others even now.
Very sincere thanks to you Filip. I'm always am looking forward to your next beery or non beery report.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on February 03, 2023, 05:57:05 PMYes, even though your trip was many years ago it is still giving pleasure to others even now.
Thanks John for the kind words  t_u
Many trips and reports were indeed made long time ago.
I sure want to do more of that in the near future.
Beer trails are really a fun experience.
I'm getting older by now with already having passed the 60 stage.
It is strange but when getting older, one feels settled. A damn wrong feeling if you ask me, but it's just a phenomenon I need to fight !!!
Sometimes I have the feeling I'm digging too much into the past, but I sure need to look much more into today and the future too.
Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Quote from: John B on February 03, 2023, 05:46:56 PMThankfully The Bruery has had a lot of experience making Belgian inspired beers
Yes John, the Bruery is really the perfect example of an American brewery greatly making Belgian style!
And they do it masterly.
That triple looks so tasty to me.
Again, we also did visit The Bruery long time ago in April 2009, and we met brewmaster Patrick Rue in person.
What a visit this was!!!

Pictures: https://belgianbeerboard.com/fotoreportages/SoCal2009/The%20Bruery%20-%20Placentia/slides/252-5234_IMG.html

Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Quote from: Trappist on February 04, 2023, 09:56:20 AMIt is strange but when getting older, one feels settled. A damn wrong feeling if you ask me, but it's just a phenomenon I need to fight !!!
Sometimes I have the feeling I'm digging too much into the past, but I sure need to look much more into today and the future too.

Yes, sometimes that feeling of being "settled" as we get older can keep us from doing things that we would have done in our younger age. There are days now when I just feel like staying home instead of going out and dealing with all the unpleasantries that life can bring upon us. I'm finding lately that I come up with excuses to stay home instead of going out, such as "Do I really want to deal with driving in all that traffic?" and things like that. It's a feeling that's understandable up to a point, but we need to fight it so that it doesn't make us miss out on some of the nicer things in life.

Digging in the past ... well, I do tend to do that, as I feel that my best days are behind me. Hope I'm wrong, but that's how I feel. Remember, today and tomorrow will soon be the past. As we know, that's how life works. Time marches on with us and it will continue to march on long after we're gone. I think it's best to find a balance when looking at the past, present and future. You can't ignore any of the three.

Cheers! - John

John B

Quote from: Trappist on February 04, 2023, 11:22:08 AM
Quote from: John B on February 03, 2023, 05:46:56 PMThankfully The Bruery has had a lot of experience making Belgian inspired beers
Yes John, the Bruery is really the perfect example of an American brewery greatly making Belgian style!
And they do it masterly.
That triple looks so tasty to me.
Again, we also did visit The Bruery long time ago in April 2009, and we met brewmaster Patrick Rue in person.
What a visit this was!!!

Pictures: https://belgianbeerboard.com/fotoreportages/SoCal2009/The%20Bruery%20-%20Placentia/slides/252-5234_IMG.html

Cheers,
Filip

These days Patrick Rue runs a place in northern California called Erosion Tap House Winery and Brewery, located in St Helena which is about an hour north of San Francisco not too far from Santa Rosa and Napa Valley where Russian River Brewing is. I've never been to Erosion, as it's only been open about a year and a half, but have heard very good things about it.

Apparently Patrick is also a part owner since May of last year of Moonlight Brewing. That's located in Santa Rosa and I've heard good things about their beers. They do direct shipping to California residents, so perhaps I'll place an order one of these days and try them out. So it sounds like Patrick has been keeping very busy since leaving The Bruery.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on February 04, 2023, 09:39:28 PMSo it sounds like Patrick has been keeping very busy since leaving The Bruery.
Wow John,
I didn't know Patrick Rue has left the building. It's great they actually keep the name The Bruery as it is.
It's a very nice wordplay.
I just visited the Erosion Tap House Winery and Brewery website and looked at the location too.

https://erosion.buzz/

That's really a very nice (touristy too) location for wine tasting. Alot of restaurants and hotels too.

This is a great read about how things happened: https://erosion.buzz/about/

Looking at their website, I also found these 75cl cans.

This is something you don't find here in Belgium, but it sure is a great idea!!

Wishing Patrick and his family all the best for a great future!!

Cheers, and thanks John, for mentioning all of this over here  t_u ,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Quote from: John B on February 04, 2023, 09:29:47 PMas I feel that my best days are behind me. Hope I'm wrong,
John,
Tha's exactly how I feel too! And I also hope I'm wrong too.
In no less than 10 years, I will be 70 years old. It's a frightning reality though  :eyes:
Also, knowing that things that happened 10 years ago seems to have happened yersterday  :o
But no worries, I'm still positive, and try to keep young, with tasting many beers to come. That's the spirit.
Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Quote from: Trappist on February 05, 2023, 10:53:29 AM
Quote from: John B on February 04, 2023, 09:39:28 PMSo it sounds like Patrick has been keeping very busy since leaving The Bruery.
Wow John,
I didn't know Patrick Rue has left the building. It's great they actually keep the name The Bruery as it is.
It's a very nice wordplay.
I just visited the Erosion Tap House Winery and Brewery website and looked at the location too.

https://erosion.buzz/

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1675590233998!6m8!1m7!1ss9v2botCBDsPc1GLzQWWlA!2m2!1d38.5042523239229!2d-122.4686659678601!3f46.85755289488698!4f-0.147845405344043!5f2.0637451283067" width="800" height="600" style="border:0;" allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" referrerpolicy="no-referrer-when-downgrade"></iframe>

That's really a very nice (touristy too) location for wine tasting. Alot of restaurants and hotels too.

This is a great read about how things happened: https://erosion.buzz/about/

Looking at their website, I also found these 75cl cans.

This is something you don't find here in Belgium, but it sure is a great idea!!

Wishing Patrick and his family all the best for a great future!!

Cheers, and thanks John, for mentioning all of this over here  t_u ,
Filip

Hi Filip,

Yesterday I noticed a thread about Erosion in the BeerAdvocate forums that someone had started a few months ago. If you look to the third posting down there's a very nice reply from Patrick Rue, who goes by the name PMR, and goes into even more detail about what he's been up to.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/erosion-wine-beer-and-ice-cream-appreciation-thread.669555/

I noticed in his response that he mentions that Erosion will ship bottles and cans to California residents, so in a matter of minutes after I post this I'm going to place an order for a few of those cans. I'll do a tasting impression and photos for each beer and post them here.

Cheers! - John

Trappist

Quote from: John B on February 05, 2023, 09:42:17 PMI noticed in his response that he mentions that Erosion will ship bottles and cans to California residents, so in a matter of minutes after I post this I'm going to place an order for a few of those cans. I'll do a tasting impression and photos for each beer and post them here.
You sure will have some treat with that order John !!  t_u

Quote from Patrick: "We make beer, wine, ice cream, run a beer bar / tasting room, bottle shop... and if I add anything else to it the wheels will absolutely fall off!"

What an efforts !!!
I think it is already a massive job to produce wine and beer at the same spot. How does he do that ??
Anyway, It seems this place can satisfy the beer- and wine lover in one shot.
Actually, I love to taste a good wine too from time to time.
A completely different drink, compared to beer, but they both have them unique flavors, characters, etc...
The one thing with wine is that afterwards I can get quite sleepy. So, much preferred before going to bed I guess :)
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

A few days ago I placed an order to be shipped to me from a northern California brewery/wine company called Erosion which I'd heard good things about but had never tried, located in St Helena, in the Napa Valley area. It's run by Patrick Rue, the fellow who started the successful Belgian influenced brewery called The Bruery in southern California about 15 years ago.

The order consisted of three different Erosion beers, and three different beers from Moonlight Brewing, which is now co-owned by Patrick Rue and is located in Santa Rosa California. I'd heard good things about their beers as well and wanted to try them out too for the first time.

This is the first of the bunch that I opened. It's a 6% four grain lager from Moonlight Brewing called Old Combine. It uses oats, rye, wheat and barley to give it a nice slippery mouthfeel. It's a crisp beer, and while drinking it I felt it would be a good choice to serve to someone who had been drinking mass produced macro lagers their whole life and wanted to try something along those lines, but a definite step up. Overall this would make a nice daily drinker. Cheers! - John

John B

Here's a great example of a Czech Pilsner from Moonlight Brewing called Reality Czeck. It comes in at 4.9% abv, and has a very smooth mouthfeel. A perfect thirst quencher on this warm southern California day. Cheers! - John

Trappist

John,
Undoubtedly two nice beers from Moonlight. They look appetizing to me.
That half moon with face reminds me of the Halve Maan brewery here in my hometown.  :fritemayo:
I'm always so fascinated when it comes to the beer names that's been invented in your country.
Reality Czeck sure is a perfect example.
I'm wondering now, how the Erosion beers will be.
I have a feeling they will be excellent, knowing Patrick Rue is the beer master !! Can't go wrong....
Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Now for my first taste of a beer from Erosion. The three different beers that I ordered from them each came shipped in 750 mL screw top cans. This one is called Hella Cold, and it's referred to as a winter pilsner. Weighing in at 7.4% abv, it's the strongest pilsner I can ever recall having. Erosion describes this as follows:

"Drinks clean & dry like you'd expect from a pilsner, but packs a punch that will help warm you up in this cold weather.

Brewed with Weyermann Barke Pilsner malt and hopped with Styrian Wolf, a new Slovenian hop that gives a bit of old world spice & floral notes with a touch of new world citrus."

I'd say that's a good description, and it's really different from any beer that I've had in the sense of it tasting and drinking like a pilsner, but with a stronger kick to it. It's has sort of a "rustic" presence about it. I like it a lot, and if the other two Erosion beers I ordered are as enjoyable as this one then it won't be the last time I do so. One of these days maybe I'll even take a road trip to there to St Helena California and pay them a visit in person. Cheers! - John

John B

Here we have another offering from Erosion. It's a 4.8% blonde ale made with rye malt and Styrian Wolf and HBC 630 hops. I have no idea what that all means, other than that together they all make up for a very nice tasting beer. The name of the beer? "Can I Speak To Your Manager?". But you don't have to be a Karen to enjoy this one. That rye comes through nicely, the hops are there, but not in your face. Another winner from what just might be shaping up to be one of my favorite new brewery discoveries of recent times, Erosion. Cheers! - John

John B

And one from Moonlight Brewing, Homegrown Wet Hop Ale. A 5.8% pale ale, this one is right up my alley. Very smooth, not overly bitter, it's one of those type beers that I'd enjoy drinking as an everyday refresher. Sort of like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but I like this one better. Wish there was a brewery local to me putting out beers like this, but there isn't. Cheers! - John