Belgian Beer Board

Happy Tasty New Year's Eve from Brugge 💝

Started by Trappist, December 31, 2022, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trappist

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

A very Happy New Year to you Filip, and to everyone here on the Belgian Beer Board. May good things come your way in 2023. 

Happy New Cheers! - John   :culsec:

Viv

Trappist

Hi,

Happy New-Year to all!

The above picture was actually the back side! Impressive back side really  :o  :o

Brugge Single Malt Whisky Infused at 12.4 vol%, contract brewed for Beer van Brugge (https://beervanbrugge.be/) at brewery Eutropius  (https://www.brouwerij-eutropius.be/en)
Actually, this is their regular Beer van Brugge 12, with an extra addition of "Talisker Single Malt Whisky".
I bought it at supermarket Carrefour for €12.99.

Wauw folks, what a truely amazing beer!
You got that smokey malt flavors and a nice sweetness in just that perfect dose.
Drinks very smooth and very satisfying too.
A very delicate beer this is. Still greatly carbonated with making a rich head that stayed. Not that easy for a 12.4 vol% beer though.

What impressed me the most was that rich flavor of Talisker single malt whisky.
Wauw, what a treat!! They weren't stingy with adding the whiskey, that's for sure. Such a rich flavor. amazing!

This beer was the last I had in 2022, but what a great beer this was.
I couldn't wish me a better ending.  t_u  :appauding-1:

Details: https://beervanbrugge.be/product/beer-van-brugge-single-malt-whisky-infused/

Cheers and let's rock 2023  B_FLAG  :animated-belgium-flag-image-0  :smbbb:  :animated-cheers:
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi Filip,

I can't wait to taste the bottle I have of this beer now.......
Sounds like another beauty!

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Quote from: Viv on January 01, 2023, 04:36:13 PMI can't wait to taste the bottle I have of this beer now.......
Sounds like another beauty!
Hi Viv,
If you like (expensive) Talisker whisky, it sure won't disappoint.
It is just the excellent regular Beer van Brugge 12 with that extra rich addition of this beautiful whisky.
I buy the 33cl. bottle of Beer van Brugge 12 for €2.65 at my local supermarket.
That's a cost of €6.00 for 75cl. They ask €12.99 for a 75cl. of whisky infused Beer van Brugge.
That's a difference of €7.00 for the addition of whisky.
Knowing a bottle of 75cl Talisker is about €35.00 would give 1/5th of 75cl. to reach a €7.00. That's a 15cl. of whisky.
4/5 at 12vol% + 1/5 at 40vol% makes 17.6vol% in total.
But to enrich from 12vol% towards 12.4vol%, one should only add about a small 13 ml. dose of 40vol% whisky to 737ml. of 12vol% beer.

Yes, it sure is more profitable when making your blend by yourself :) You actually have 137 ml of whisky in surplus :)

But ofcourse, the brewery needs to make money too, and there are those expenses and hard labour too :)

Actually, this brings me on the idea to do that test and make the blend with Talisker and Beer van Brugge 12 myself , and do a side-by-side tasting with the Beer van Brugge whisky infused. Interesting experiment  F_C

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Trappist

Hi Viv,
I just did my shopping :)
Fully prepared to do the experiment!

I bought me the Talisker Single Malt Scotch Whisky aged for 10 years.
Normally this bottle goes at 45.59 Euro, but see, I got a discount of 6 Euro at supermarket Delhaize.
https://www.delhaize.be/nl-be/shop/Dranken-en-alcohol/Alcohol/Whisky/Whisky-Single-Malt-10-jaar-45-8-ALC-/p/S2004092700250390000
So, it is not 35 Euro as I wrote but 39.59, and it is not 40 vol%, but 45.8 vol%.

Can't wait to do the test ..... stay tuned....

Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson

Viv

Hi Filip,

Excellent idea to do the side by side tasting!

And you have now purchased all the ingredients, done all the
research, and done the maths, so I am greatly looking forward to
your findings! All done for scientific purposes of course! :ohno-1:  :chin:

The base line is that you have a fantastic Brugge 12 brew and
a fantastic single malt whisky.  t_u  t_u

That can really  :drunken_smilie:  :drunken_smilie:  :drunken_smilie: only mean one thing...... 

Cheers!

Viv

Jay

Happy New Year everyone, wishing you all the best for the coming year. We're looking forward to some exciting beery adventures in 2023 - stating in under 2 weeks time when we visit Latvia.

That sounds like some interesting experiment Filip, I'm sure you'll knock up a perfect clone 👌🏻

Btw, yesterday marked my first #belgiansunday of 2023 and so to finish off my Xmas stash chose a beer I've never had before...Barbe Noel from Brewery Verhaeghe - 10% Belgian Strong Golden Ale

Pale golden beer with a slight chill haze to it and topped with a towering white head.
Crisp ripe orchard fruits (pear and apple) old school pear drop toffees, banana bread, clove spicing, sweet Belgian candy sugar....flavour wise it has nothing at all Christmas going on BUT for a Belgian Strong Ale it ticks every box.

Cheers
Jay  t_u

John B

Happy New Year to you too Jay! Looking forward to hearing about your Latvia trip.

Filip, I can't wait to hear how your experiment turns out.

Cheers! - John 

Viv

Hi Jay,

Happy New Year to you too!

I last tasted this brew in 2016 when it had an ABV of 7.2%.
Looks like they've finally ramped it up a bit now. Looking
at my tasting notes it was distinctly average with a bland
lager-like quality and had no flavour reference to the
season either.

Cheers!

Viv

Trappist

Happy NewYear Jay!
Today it is a great beer that Barbe Noël. And that 10 vol% sure is much justified these Holiday days.
A good decision from bry Verhaeghe to raised it from 7.2 towards 10 and making it much more tasty too  :appauding-1:

Yesterday evening, we did the ultimate experiment  :exclamation:

What a joy to do some highly interesting experiments like this. I can only encourage everyone to do the same.
The outcome is such a nice surprise.
I added about 6ml of whisky to the 330ml volume of regular Beer van Brugge 12.
According my calculations, that should do fine. It's quite a small shot that needs to be inserted. Quite surprised about that.
You notice that the bottle is already emptied with more than 6ml, but that's just that we already tested the whisky as a pure product a couple of hours before :) It is an AMAZING whisky folks!!!
I first added the whisky into the glass, and afterwards poured the beer completely.
I still got a nice foam, and a steady head too.
But as you can see, the head was a bit less evolved. The self made blend is the glass on the left side.
The biggest surprise was the actual smelling and savouring.
My concoction was way better IMHO, and Katrien was on line with me too  t_u
I had more of smokey aromas but also significant more smokey flavors too. Also a more (not much) articulated whisky flavor.
Knowing the regular Beer van Brugge is already a smokey beer, this tweaking really made it PERFECT!!!
Note that the Beer van Brugge whisky infused is already a wonderful beer, with already that extra smokeyness (peat) and additional whisky flavors.
But the one I made was just more enjoyable. I would always make my blend myself after this experiment !!! (less expensive too)
The one thing that still makes me puzzle is the fact that I used the 10 years old Talisker.
Actually, I'm not really sure what Beer v Brugge was used as whisky from Talisker.
It could well be the regular Talisker Skye without 10 years of ageing.
It could as such well explain that extra peatiness I had.
Holy grief, what an experiment.
I would advice to buy a LOAD of regular Beer van Brugge 12, and buy you the finest 10 years old single malt Talisker whisky, and do the blending by yourself. Actually, if you want it, you can add more whisky, to make it even more peaty and whisky flavored going towards much higher alc%.
But be aware that balance should not be underestimated here.

Have some wonderful trip to Latvia Jay. looking forward to your findings !!

Cheers,
Filip

–- Thomas Jefferson