Belgian Beer Board

Crius

Started by JRJordao, August 31, 2023, 06:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRJordao

Hello all,

It's been a long while since I last posted (in the previous forum). Many thanks to Filip for taking me back in this new-and-improved version t_u

On to the beer...

A few weeks ago, Lidl here in Portugal advertised the usual Van Steenberge selection (Gulden Draak, Piraat, Bornem), joined by a new and exclusive Crius belgian beer for only 1€ the bottle!

My curiosity was piqued after learning that the beer was product of the year 2022 in Belgium. Even if a lot of it was marketing hype, it couldn't be all bad.

Strong blonde with 8,5% abv. Aroma and flavour similarities to "big sister" Piraat, but not so heavy and with a more/quite noticeable hop presence.

Not world-class by any means, but impressive for the low price. A much more interesting "first belgian blonde" than Leffe or Grimbergen. And a great "regular day" blonde for those not so fortunate to have a large selection available at a good price.

If you have Lidl near you, odds are it will sell this soon. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Cheers! :icon_beer01:
Jorge

Trappist

Hi JRJordao,

Very nice to see you back over here  t_u  t_u  t_u  t_u  t_u

Crius is that typical example of cheap beer, specially made for supermarkets like Lidl, Aldi, etc...
Those beers are commissioned and the main objective is to produce them at low costs, which makes them very cheap for the customer.

Blue Mango Design: We created a new Belgian beer for Lidl Belgium, Merelbeke, to answer the growing consumer demand of strong beers in Europe. With our Brussels design team we started from three optional names and created a rich storytelling around them. As the Crius story of a Greek god, member of the Titans and represented by a ram figure, had the most potential we decided to go on with that brand name.

I had this beer only one, and it didn't convince me to buy it again.
Not bad, but lacking the quality of Piraat, Bornem tripel, even Augustijn !!

BTPint.... https://www.poybelgium.com/nl/portfolios/corona-cero-nl-ab-inbev/
This beer Corona Cero from Ab Inbev is that other beer product of the year :)
Says enough  I think :)

Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

John B

Quote from: Trappist on September 01, 2023, 11:13:10 AMBTPint.... https://www.poybelgium.com/nl/portfolios/corona-cero-nl-ab-inbev/

Cheers,
Filip[/color]

Oh my.   :ohno-1:

Trappist

Quote from: JRJordao on August 31, 2023, 06:59:57 PMIf you have Lidl near you, odds are it will sell this soon. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Hi JRJordao,
I do have 5 LIDL's round the corner here.
I'm just back with a 4-pack of Crius at €3.49 --- €0.8725 for one bottle of 8.5vol% beer, brewed at bry. Van Steenberge !!
I immediately set in the fridge and took out too fast. I simply can't wait to try....

Wow, nice foam here and long lasting too. Quite similar to the precious rocky Duvel head! What a compliment  t_u
The ingredients list do not mention any spices, but it has a subtle spicy flavor and aroma. Sure this comes from the Van Steenberge yeast strain.
I also notice the use of rice as ingredient, which could actually lower the costs and give it a paler color compared to the Augustijn.
This beer is 8.5 vol%, compared to the lower 7.5 vol% from Augustijn. But there are those legal 1 vol% fluctuations ofcourse  :chin:
This golden amber blond beer gets cloudy when pouring the last bits. Yes, bottle conditioned!
It's quite similar to Augustijn but this one is that bit more bready in flavor (the rice?), a bit more pale in color, but both having that bitter hop touches in the nose and on the palate.
What surprises me is the creaminess. Silky smooth, and swirling the glass gives that glue-y texture... quite a dense beer really.
The mouth feeling is also very satisfying creamy.

Wow, actually this beer isn't that bad after all !!

And ..... I sure can't easily point another beer that has that AMAZING value for money ratio !!!  t_u  t_u  t_u  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:  :appauding-1:

Cheers,
Filip

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health."
–- Thomas Jefferson

JRJordao

Hi Filip,

Glad you retried the beer and had a better experience this time. :)
Maybe in the previous tasting you had some food which didn't "match", or had another better beer during the session.

The inclusion of rice also got my attention. I know it's a cheapening ingredient, but what is it for mostly, the body, the colour, ?

So in your opinion this beer is most similar to Augustijn? (which I'm yet to try)

It's indeed very nice for the price. And over there it's dirt cheap!

Cheers! :icon_beer01:
Jorge

JRJordao

Quote from: John B on September 01, 2023, 12:08:06 PM
Quote from: Trappist on September 01, 2023, 11:13:10 AMBTPint.... https://www.poybelgium.com/nl/portfolios/corona-cero-nl-ab-inbev/

Cheers,
Filip[/color]

Oh my.  :ohno-1:

Indeed, yikes! :o
Jorge

Trappist

Quote from: JRJordao on September 01, 2023, 05:37:41 PMSo in your opinion this beer is most similar to Augustijn? (which I'm yet to try)
Yes, the similarities are there.
Augustijn is more amber colored, but the yeast profile and the hops are quite the same.
It would be nice to do a side-by-side tasting  t_u
Cheers,
Filip
–- Thomas Jefferson